Southern Region 3rd Rail Layout OO Gauge

Georgeconna

HI all,

As time Marches on I was sitting in the Man cave looking at some railway Books and decided to get my backside in gear and make something to actually run some stock on.

Now living in Ireland since 1976 I spent many a Holiday with my Nan in Tunbridge Wells and Maidstone in the heart of the SR. My Nans house used to be right next to the Tunnel Mouth entrance on the Tunbridge line. Also My Grandfather used to by a driver on the Steam and Electric on the Southern Region up to the 70s and since 1 Y/O I have been on many a visits to the Bluebell Railway in Sussex which cemented my Southern Favoritism so here we go to try to re-create some Southern Atmosphere. (I do l like LNER also so expect and A4/A1 appearing the odd time!!!)

The Layout is based on Heathfield in Sussex, This Station caught my eye whilst thumbing through some books and it looked to be a fantastic location. This Station was on the Cuckoo Line which was closed in the 60's but I liked the Station and area at it has some nice Character. 

The layout scenic area is 12x2ft and broken down into 3 4 foot sections. Track will be Peco code 75 as I had a bit of this stored up over the last while. I need to figure out the best option now for Point control and frog switching as there is so much to chose from now. The servo options I do like as they are nice and cheap and quiet and easily mountable and also use a Hex Juicer but Cobalts seem to cover everything also. The Layout will be DCC.

I will have 2 bay platforms available and will have a run around Facility on the main line for London trains Terminating at the station with a Crossover near the Tunnel to change to the Up Line. Obviously the scene will have to be compressed a bit as I only have 16ft length to play with so the platforms will hold 3 coaches plus loco.

The Buildings will be a mix of Plastic and card for now and some ready to plant items, The Cards building will get replaced with Plastic buildings eventually as the climate in Ireland is not known for its Dryness!.

I attached a few pictures of the Track laid out to no particular design, I just wanted a nice flowing track to watch trains go by and a yard to shunt about in and most importantly enjoy the whole experience!

If any one has comments about the Track plans or any suggests any improvements let me know before I start Pinning!! Apologies about the state of the place as you can see my Interests cover a wide range not just Trains!! (it is now tidy again!!)

541_4195_zps5m9dfo2q.jpg

541_4198_zps4ttgfw5f.jpg

541_4195_zps5m9dfo2q.jpg

541_4197_zpsyegiccb8.jpg

542_4201_zps6fqoihnt.jpg

.542_4205_zpswksjohzm.jpg

Regards

George

Edited by Georgeconna
XX
  • Like 3

A serious man cave, if ever there was one!

Heathfield is an interesting choice. Having grown up in that neck of the woods, I know well that it was a very unusually arranged station.

Whereabouts are you? I'm over to Ireland at the end of the month (Killarney area, and BnM railways) and am always keen talk railways.

Kevin

A serious man cave, if ever there was one!

Heathfield is an interesting choice. Having grown up in that neck of the woods, I know well that it was a very unusually arranged station.

Whereabouts are you? I'm over to Ireland at the end of the month (Killarney area, and BnM railways) and am always keen talk railways.

Kevin

Down in Cork Kevin, Not to Far from the Old Fermoy - Waterford line. 5 miles from the old Station of Clondulane.

Get the BNM stuff while you can as the power stations they move the turf around for wont be around in the distant future. There are Windmills popping up on the land there now.

There is a Belmond Train each Tuesday into Cork now, Departs at 1930 each Tuesday night and stables in Charleville if you want to shoot that. It is about the only exciting thing down this neck of the woods.

There is a large Steam Rally in Innishannon, Co. Cork on the June weekend if that ties in with your trip. It is worth going IMHO.

The Layout will have Double track as opposed to the single line in order to enhance ops as I had a N gauge Layout previously with single track and it restricted operations a fair bit.

Enjoy the Break , the Weather over the past week has been Superb, I hope it continues.

George.

The family are flying back on 2nd June, and I was planning to have a look at a few of BnM lines in the course of a circuitous drive back to Dublin Port over the weekend 3rd/4th ...... now that steam rally is seeding different thoughts ...... I think the bogs will probably win, though. I've visited all of the BnM railways before, but, as you say, time is ticking.

I'll be following "heathfield" with interest, especially when you get to the footbridge.

Kevin

• 11 months later...

Not much Happening to the Layout as Juggling loads of Modelling stuff recently but Managed to get a Parkside Kit built with inspiration from another SR Modeller on this forum. Just waiting for Decals now in the Post in order to finish it off. A lovely Little kit let down by no roof vents and no Transfer however a very nice little runner. 

40997071304_161989e757_c.jpg573_7365 by Georgeconna, on Flickr

27846044588_40540368d0_c.jpg573_7364 by Georgeconna, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well time flies, Small bit done and slowly getting there, Track is down, 13 Cobalts are installed and 2 lengths of 3rd have been laid over the past 2 days. I enjoyed that!

49445523328_c6186fe1d4_k.jpg603_0393 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49445520748_956404c916_k.jpg603_0391 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49446216457_cad7873b38_k.jpg604_0482 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49446217017_7fa941a6d7_k.jpg604_0480 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49446154512_415d7ba310_k.jpg605_0562 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49445931826_38c4328d9c_k.jpg605_0560 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49445932106_3b33670943_k.jpg605_0559 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49445932396_d62537f891_k.jpg605_0558 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

49446155962_cc59d86a98_k.jpg605_0557 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

• Like 3