7mm Coach Passengers

brossard

I couldn't see any topics on this.  I'm building some coach kits and would like to add some passengers.  I know that Slaters do a pack, but I'm not convinced that they look all that good.  I saw a pack from Woodland scenic and Highland Castings from Invertrain have some, but there are no pictures.  Anyone have recommendations for these?

John

I have used the Slaters figures, I agree that the mounds seem a bit time-worn, and the figures are not super-convincing, however, even with lights, you'll find that they are not very noticeable. A little colour is a good thing I suppose.

There are also Preiser figures, expensive, and Chinese eBay figures, cheap. Not tried either, but inclined to the latter.

A further option is to print side views of figures on card, and cut them out, either hitech, using a laser, or with sharp scissors in the time-honoured fashion. Indeed, dark coloured silhouettes may be sufficient, which I suppose suggests a Silhouette cutter might do the trick.

Not sure about other options.

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon.  I tend to agree that the less than ideal Slaters would probably work.  Definitely not keen on the printed one dimensional approach.  Hoping that someone has tried other makes and can post pictures.

John

These were the cheapest option I found:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P4805B-64-All-Seated-Figures-O-scale-1-48-Unpainted-People-Model-Railway-NEW/311463859034?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D94d343740fe74b43a53545c054beefbf%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311463858203

I just ordered a set. At something less that 12p each, it's not a high risk!

I will post photos in due course.

I might have a go at the 2D approach too.

Best

Simon

The mouldings look to be quite good Simon and for the price you can't go wrong.  I don't do eBay though.  Maybe I should start.

I'll be interested to know what you think when you get them.

I sent an email to Nigel at Omen to see about his seated passenger packs.  We'll see how that goes.

John

Yes Rod I checked ModelU.  There aren't any passengers in the range but I did order some guards and a loco crew.

Detailed Miniatures are very nice indeed.  Correct me if I'm wrong but they mostly seem to be Edwardian, I'm doing early 60s.  Prices appear to be steep too but that's for painted figures.  I'm happy to paint my own.

It's great that we're getting info on so many sources of figures, I'm sure it will be a help to others.

John

I purchased some figures from the Detailed Miniatures stand at Bristol for Ramchester. a late 50's early 60's layout and these are of the correct era. Maybe I was just lucky with these as I think the owner of DM sells only what he can paint. I understand that there are no less than 14 coats of paint /varnish on these figures which is one reason why they are not cheap. I have no connection with DM except for being a very satisfied customer.

Rod

Please don't let me be misunderstood...

I'm all in favour of the lovely figures that are available, it's just that it seems to me to be an awful waste of money to use them inside a coach, where they really can't be seen.

Best

Simon

Quite agree Simon, they can't be seen clearly.  It's certainly true of 4mm, but I'm still getting my head around this larger scale.  As I say, I'll see if I get a response from Omen.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

My Chinese population arrived today

Everestmodel PB4805B - £7.49 for 64 seated unpainted figures. They'll do nicely for coach passengers.

post-20369-0-01258000-1495878753_thumb.jpg

The front row are some part-painted Slaters figures for comparison. I reckon the Chinese ones are better, and much cheaper.

Best

Simon

Missed your post Simon, sorry.  You make a good point, must think on that.

Looking very like the aftermath of a battle with Vlad of Wallachia, I washed the figures using window cleaner and stuck them on toothpicks.  These were sprayed with grey primer:

34869404492_d4bb0e527f_z.jpgP1010001-005 by John Kendall, on Flickr

Already the casting definition is much improved.

John

It's been a struggle but I got the figures painted:

34688249580_a7d668e96d_z.jpgP1010001-007 by John Kendall, on Flickr

From normal viewing distances and certainly a coach they look OK I think.  My biggest problem was getting the faces to look credible.  I did try to detail eyeballs but these are just too small for that.  They say you're supposed to mix your own flesh tone and I reviewed an article on painting 7mm figures in MRJ 230.  However I use acrylics which behave differently from enamels.  I used Tamiya Flesh.

After trying to do faces several times I finally scraped the paint off so as to reveal the detail.  Finally I hit on the solution which was to use heavily thinned paint on the faces so as not to obscure the detail.  (If you're using enamels, one method is to paint the figures black and dry brush colour on.  This way you've already got the shadows.) 

I finished the faces by applying a thin wash to highlight the shadow line detail - not ideal but the faces shouldn't have a flat texture. 

The trick with the bodies is to paint outwards.  For example for shirts you paint white on the area without even trying to stay in lines.  When dry, you can use a 000 brush to paint on the tie.  You then paint the suit away from the shirt area.

I dredged up all sorts of colours from my paint stash.  Primary colours but also tangerine, purple, maroon, catwhisker yellow, railroad tie brown, earth, dirt and so on.  Anything goes really I think.

When done, I used the Tamiya Panel Lining wash to highlight the shadows.

I sprayed the figures with matt clear coat although the lights still make things look shiny.

Glad that's done.  Phew!

John

Archived