Albania

AMJ

Tomorrow I will hopefully be traveling on the Albanian railway.

This former communist closed country has fairly recently opened up for tourism.

See YouTube video.

Photos to follow when I'm home.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be traveling on the Albanian railway.

This former communist closed country has fairly recently opened up for tourism.....

That's not the only thing Albania's opened up for. Apparently it's probably the biggest producer of cannabis in Europe....!

Think twice if you're being offered a window seat - stoning carriage windows is a popular pastime in Albania.

And, to clarify, that's not the kind of stoning referred to in the previous message.

• 2 weeks later...

The little I know of Albania is derived from one acquaintance who went around collecting the glorious place names for purpose of amusement. (The transliteration of Albanian into English is made problematic by the Albanian' s inconsistent spelling, but this is a mere quibble when improbable journeys can be made from the town of Balls, via Sperm Curry to Lake Gashit.)

Very slow journeys mind, owing to the acute under-development. The last journey on the comprehensive railway timetable, from the port of Durres to Elbasan on the river Shkrimbum, is all of sixty kilometres as the crow flies, so the near 3 hour journey time is going to afford plentiful opportunity for close inspection of the passing scenery. The gun emplacements and other military installeations are very noteworthy, The late Enver Hoxha spent his entire tenure as maximum adored president for life constructing not so much a Maginot line, but a Maginot chessboard, because enemies were everywhere.

• Like 1