Swanage TC Group's First Vehicle Arrives At Norden

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium

On the evening of May the 15th 2017, DTSO coach number 76275 was delivered from its former home at St Leonards depot. The coach was purchased from, and overhauled by, St Leonards Railway Engineering Ltd, and is now in its new home on the Swanage railway. The coach looks fantastic in its blue and grey livery, and the team at St Leonards are due a lot of credit. The coach will now be wrapped in tarpaulin, to protect it from the elements, while we await the restoration of the next vehicles.

Following on from receiving a grant from the central Swanage Railway trust, a contract has been signed, for the overhaul of TBSK coach number 70824. The work will be done by the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley, and hopefully by the end of the year, we will have a second TC coach at the Swanage Railway. Once the coach is at the Swanage Railway, volunteers will then be able to start the technical work required, to get the push pull and other electrical equipment working again. The remaining vehicles will continue to be stored at the Midland Railway Centre until funds can be raised to start on their restoration.

More details at http://www.4tc.org.uk

Photos courtesy Andrew P. M. Wright

post-11458-0-23753100-1494972393_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-99274900-1494972391_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-59671300-1494972394_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-65067300-1494972395_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-66784600-1494972396_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-70176900-1494972397_thumb.jpgpost-11458-0-77638100-1494972398_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looks brilliant - hopefully it can be stored undercover  and I hope the rest of the set can be got underway before  too long.

I expect the electrics will give hours of fun given age of the string !

Well done to all involved

Robert 

• RMweb Gold

Sadly Swanage Railway doesn't have any undercover storage, Carriage & Wagon restoration is in either the Goods shed at Swanage or the open air. 

Surely would not be too difficult to construct a carriage shed over the sidings at Harman's Cross.

• RMweb Gold

Surely would not be too difficult to construct a carriage shed over the sidings at Harman's Cross.

One was planned at Herston Halt but after a fair amount of civils work was stopped.

The long term plan is to get hold of what was the old BP site at Furzebrook but negotations are still ongoing.

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't that be contaminated, and thus expensive, land?

I understand there are environmental issues with the site as part of it has been designated a SSI which immediately makes costs skyrocket, plus I believe the local authority is very hostile to any large developments there.

Contamination may also be an issue, but it is not what is causing a headache at present.

• RMweb Premium

No - but sheds require planning permission from the local authority (which costs) and even money to actually build them. As such it can take years before such things actually come to fruition, yet the TC coach (and many other items including the T3) need covered accommodation now.

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering how difficult it would be to use a DTSO as an autocoach while waiting for the rest of the unit.

Possibility quite difficult - much depends on the connections at the inner end which were not designed to couple to a loco. At a minimum the inner end coupling will be a fixed buckeye and the various pipes, etc may not be suitable for direct connection to a loco.

• RMweb Gold

I understand there are environmental issues with the site as part of it has been designated a SSI which immediately makes costs skyrocket, plus I believe the local authority is very hostile to any large developments there.

Contamination may also be an issue, but it is not what is causing a headache at present.

Contamination isn't an issue on the site as it was a loading terminal and subject to very strict procedures. 

The main issue goes back to the original permission given to BP to build the site. In the permission was a clause(s) which stated that when it was finished, the site had to be returned to heathland. As planning is a legally binding agreement between 2 parties it's not something that can be ignored. BP have sold the Drill sites and other land in Purbeck to another company (name escapes me) and they are now charged under planning with dealing with the site. 

Dorset County Council are sympathetic to the railway and it's thought there is a way around the problem but it's not a 5 minute solution.

Archived