Lima Class 33 - Improvements?

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

OK,

eBay bargain at the weekend and I have a Lima O gauge 33 in my hands. I already have replacement bogie sideframes, handrails, new buffers, couplings and pipework are on the cards, but apart from that what else is "wrong" with the old 33?

Not sure how far to go with this one .....

TIA

It's a bit too wide, you can slot the JLTRT ends inside the Lima body, so it's around 6" too much overall. Difficult to do much with that, I have got a pair of ends that I will one day graft into a Lima body, but it will also involve sectioning the thing lengthways. Probably not really worth the effort.

Flush glazing kits from Ebay are still around and worth putting in, and etched roof grilles would improve the look further, if you can find any, or persuade someone to make them.

Biggest problem is that it's too short, by about 15mm, I got hold of Heljan underframe tanks, buffer beams and bogie sides and the longer bogies meant I really had to stretch the body, again if you already have the shorter correct looking bogie sides it's probably worth leaving it alone.

I have had a hack at one, and will one day get around to another with the JLTRT ends I got from their scrap bin at Telford, but to be honest it's a huge amount of work for not much gain, the Hymek is much easier as the body is much closer.

post-18627-0-88948600-1495020630_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-71923200-1495020740_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-96665400-1495020659_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-50991600-1495020761_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-91183000-1495021242_thumb.jpg

Good luck with it whatever you do, if you need a set of 7mm drawings pm me.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter,

too short I can live with as the shorter the better with Fourgig East LOL. Might see what I can do with that roof grille as I'll need something to let the sound out when I fit one of Paul Chetter's sound chips ;)

• RMweb Gold

Taking the body off last night revealed a very large cavity - the speaker will fit in the tanks easily - no need to mess with the fan grille unless I really want to :)

Think this one will be a light detail job. Might not even paint it British Railways GSYP (don't believe that for a second LOL )

Taking the body off last night revealed a very large cavity - the speaker will fit in the tanks easily - no need to mess with the fan grille unless I really want to :)

Think this one will be a light detail job. Might not even paint it British Railways GSYP (don't believe that for a second LOL )

I converted a Lima 33 a few years ago. I used PRMRP motors and detail pieces plus a few extra details. I have another Lima 33 on my to do list.

They look fine when they are on the layout. Loads of room for decoders and speakers. Adding a roof grille and buffer beam details really does lift this model.

The only change I would make is don't file off the body side locating lugs, unless you make a decent alternative to fix the body to the underframe. I filed mine off, wish I hadn't.

Give it a try,

Paul. Aka Father Dougal.

Edited by Father Dougal