DJM class 71 Slow & Jerky. CV settings?

ianthetrog

You are using a geriatric version of JMRI to setup an ESU decoder.   Given the rate of code-changes in JMRI to support ESU sound decoders, I would recommend you upgrade to a current version.   As well as improved code, the new interface is a lot better than the hundreds of checkboxes in your screen shot.

- Nigel

I have just upgraded to v3.10 but cannot use v4 or above because that computer is on Windows XP. I set it up specifically for me to use with the trains and programming, and was built from leftover parts, so is fairly geriatric itself! :)

p.s. I also use it for testing and rescuing other peoples' computers. If it gets a virus or something like that, there is nothing of real value on it so it can be reimaged or restored with no real loss to me. It also boots into Windows 2000 for a very simple but robust interface when I need to do a bit of computer programming.

p.p.s I did try the newer version of Decoder Pro on my Windows 10 laptop but it didn't want to communicate to the serial port on my Power Pro system using a serial to USB converter cable which does work with the older computer; I tested it just to check - the older train room computer has a serial port installed anyway (I put it there myself!).

Edited by SRman

I have just upgraded to v3.10 but cannot use v4 or above because that computer is on Windows XP. It was set up specifically for me to use with the trains and programming, and was built from leftover parts, so is fairly geriatric itself! :)

XP should run Java 1.8 (aka Java 8), there are a lot of JMRI users who have installed it. Ignore the dire warnings on installation about lack of support in XP.  Then current JMRI can be installed.   In both cases, there are "offline" install options, so you can transfer the files to the computer without needing a direct internet connection to the XP machine.     JMRI support for ESU LokSound decoders has changed a lot in the last few years, and the old description files may have errors in how they work.   

Or, splash out £30 on a Raspberry PI computer (assuming you have a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse with the appropriate connectors)  and run it on that !

I'll give it a go, but it wasn't the Java that was the problem. I just couldn't get the COM port to communicate correctly. Given more time I could probably sort it, but, to be honest, I wasn't too bothered because the existing system works, and works well without too many glitches.

• RMweb Premium

Hiya,

Hoping someone can help.

I originally had Bachmann 36-557 chips fitted to my 71's but I now know that wasn't the best idea as they do not have enough functions to work all the lights and running was very jerky at the lower speeds.

I've now bought and replaced them with Zimo MX634D chips which have 6 functions and are able to better control the loco.

However, I still only have the marker lights and cabs lighting up.

I'm not great when it comes to understanding the programming side and haven't changed anything yet in case I mess it up and I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what I need to do to get the headcode lights to work.

Haven't got round to adjusting the CV's to smooth their performance yet but compared to the Bachmann chip they're running a whole lot better and I'm confident that using the settings mentioned in this thread will complete that part, it's just the headcode lights I'm scratching my head over.

I've not got sound fitted and I'm using an NCE Power Pro controller, apologies if that's not relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• RMweb Gold

The 5th function for the lights needs to be a logic function, and on the MX634D it's actually a normal function which is why the lights don't work.  You can try changing that on this decoder by setting CV8=3, but I found that didn't work and Zimo did not know why. 

A Lenz Silver21 decoder will work the lights correctly.

Ditto what RFS said. I found the Zimo decoder gave smoother running but the Lenz decoder, with BEMF switched off completely, works quite well and works all the lights correctly. I have not succeeded in getting the headcode lights to work with the Zimo MX634D. I PM's RFS to see what he had tried, but like him, have had no success with the lighting function for the headcodes.

Experiments with different decoders will continue!

The best running one which works all the lights correctly too is the ESU LokSound v4; mine has legomanbiffo sounds but it should not matter whose sounds are on it, this decoder works well. However, I have no intention of fitting sound to the second of my class 71 models, which is why I am trying out different non-sound decoders.

• RMweb Gold

If you're prepared to take the soldering iron to the loco's PCB you can alter it so that AUX3 requires a normal function output and not a logic output.  Then the MX834D will work the head code lights.  See post #1888 on this thread 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88264-oo-gauge-class-71-electric-locomotive/?p=2731227

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the advice and help.

I haven't used a soldering iron for such fine work for quite a while and it would probably lead to me destroying the electronics of the model so I'm going to go for the simpler, albeit more expensive solution, of the Lenz decoder.

Could you please let me know the actual model number of the decoder, I think it's the L10321-01 only that only has 4 functions which seems to say I'm looking at the wrong one as I need 5 I believe.

Thanks again in advance

The Lenz has four functions plus a logic function output, which is exactly what the DJM 71 needs. By default, the headcodes will work on F5 , with the other defaults being marker lights on F0, cab lights at #2 end on F1 and cab lights at #1 end on F2.

I swapped the cab light ends to be more logical (to me) - F1 works #1 end, F2 works #2 end now.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the advice and help.

I haven't used a soldering iron for such fine work for quite a while and it would probably lead to me destroying the electronics of the model so I'm going to go for the simpler, albeit more expensive solution, of the Lenz decoder.

Could you please let me know the actual model number of the decoder, I think it's the L10321-01 only that only has 4 functions which seems to say I'm looking at the wrong one as I need 5 I believe.

Thanks again in advance

Yes - the Lenz 21pin decoder you need is 10231-01.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just got the DJ models class 71. It's very noisy and jerky at low speeds and flat out only goes at about half speed. 

Anybody know if cvs can be altered to aid this? Using a Bachmann decoder with Hornby elite controller. Have tried another decoder but no different

Thanks for any advice before it goes back.

Just got the DJ models class 71. It's very noisy and jerky at low speeds and flat out only goes at about half speed. 

Anybody know if cvs can be altered to aid this? Using a Bachmann decoder with Hornby elite controller. Have tried another decoder but no different

I had the same problem with two DJ Models class 71 Locomotives using an ESU 54615 LokPilot V4.0 DCC decoder in each locomotive. I solved the problem by replacing the ESU decoders with TCS 1344 EU621 decoders. now my DJ locomotives run perfectly. 

Incidentally without changing any CV settings, I just swooped the 2 ESU decoders for 2 TCS decoders that I had installed in a pair of Bachmann SR EMU models, and the Bachmann SR EMU's continue to perform perfectly now using the ESU decoders. 

Horses for courses!

Barry

I used a Lokpilot V4.0 in mine and used the "auto adjust" setting, and it runs very nicely after that. 

(Of course, it struggles to negotiate my torture track of a layout, and the Kernow Bullied is even worse...but the layout is built with Marklin C-track modified to be switchable between 2-rail and three rail...)