Sittingbourne & Kemsley

Jack

That's a pity - if you could get back to Ridham Dock, it would open up the possibility of pleasure trips along the Medway (after all, the Medway Queen's due to sail again at some point in the next few years), or longer sailings (e.g. from Chatham on the Kingswear Castle or from Southend/London on the Waverley), any of which would bring more visitors along.

That's true: more customers would be good though apparently the SKLR trust is in very good state financially because they were compensated for having to close when the pipelines were removed. Now that they have a lease there has also been some real grant money flowing in. Another aspect of the traffic figure is about capacity. A four coach train can move about 120 people (allowing for brake compartments and the like) but the cafe is quite small - so is the shop - and the facilities start to creak a little with that many people. Difficult that. I was on duty the last time SKLR was allowed to have a 'Thomas day' and although extra trains were run I was getting quite edgy about the number of people on the Sittingbourne Viaduct station site, fortunately it evened out by lunchtime but there was quite a crush in the morning.

• 3 months later...

There continues to be good news from the S&K. It was possible to run a low key service most of the summer from Milton Regis Halt to Kemsley Down which carried a little over 4000 passengers. There is no loop at Milton so it was steam in one direction and diesel in the other - with the non-train loco running light at a discrete distance on a staff and ticket system.

There will be no Santa Specials this year but all available volunteers will be at work getting Sittingbourne Viaduct Station back into usable condition. Much needed security fencing is being installed shortly and it will then be possible to repair the vandalised switches and crossing. The check and switch rails were stolen by scrap metal thieves.

There is a good chance that the line will be open in full by next Easter - you might even be able to take pictures of the trains from above as there is a new road bridge over the line for the Sittingbourne northern relief road, unless they put a dirty great fence along the parapet.

• 2 months later...

Further to my last note, the plan is to open the whole line at Easter this year and progress to that end is positive! The roadworks half-way along the line are close to completion and the last mag. had some photos of trains going under the new road overbridge - something that has not been possible to do since 1969 when they stopped going under the old bridges within the mill site.

There is a very large empty hole where Sittingbourne paper mill used to be.

• 2 months later...

The bad news first - Easter reopening to Sittingbourne was deferred, the website says that 'hazardous material' was found beside the line and they cannot run through the area affected until after decomtamination.

The really good news is that Leader is back in steam after a thiry year 'rest' I have never seen her run and was beginning to think that she was just a dark (red) rumour but - yet again - the S&K have managed a DIY total restoration of a locomotive. What a shame the rest of the preservation movement don't give them the credit they deserve. At least the total rebuild of Melior some years ago won a special steam heritage award, in the days when there were such things.

the website says that 'hazardous material' was found beside the line and they cannot run through the area affected until after decomtamination.

And lo shall they call said material Sittingbourne ;)

Good to hear Leader will be back ... next job Unique????

• 3 years later...

I am sorry to say that Malcolm Burton, founding Chairman of the SKLR, has passed away. Malcolm put huge energy to the preservation of the Bowater Light Railway, especially in the early days, and although I often did not see eye-to-eye with him, I would want to say that no-one can gainsay his commitment to the line. Arrangements for the funeral have not been announced. Sadly, Malcolm is the second former chair to have died in the last couple of years; that only leaves me and Jim - apart from the present excellent incumbent, Liz, who has skilfully guided the trust through the terrible crises of the last few years.

Steam on!

Archived