PO wagons on Stanmore branch

The Watford & District MRC is making a layout based on Belmont Station on the Stanmore branch c1937. We have most of the info we need but we have drawn a complete blank concerning the matter of PO wagons on the branch.

We would be most grateful for any information concerning wagons of private traders, collieries and coal factors on the branch.

MTIA

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Kelly's Directory??? If you can't find an original for that date, have a look to see if Belmont and Stanmore are covered in the Godfrey Collection of replica OS maps. He prints extracts from Kelly's on the reverse of the map.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

The London Metropolitan Archive at Clerkenwell should be a good resource. https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/default.aspx

(I was recently given a promotional tour of the Hertfordshire equivalent, demonstrating their part in the national project to get all the material digitised and online accessible. Which will be handy.)

Many of the old directories can be accessed and searched at http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4

A quick scamper through one came up with 3 merchants using Stanmore Station, Herbert Clarke, William E Highams and John Jesse TIms.  I think Herbert Clarke were a large company and had their own wagons, but cannot vouch for the others.

Many thanks for the replies.

POW does sides for Herbert Clarke see http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=5&cat=&search=Herbert+Clarke&submit=Search .

There are many companies in the POW range whose wagons are marked as having a location in 'London'. Would it be a reasonable assumption that these wagons belong to coal factors and might therefore be seen anywhere in the London area on deliveries to local coal merchants? 

Thanks, Regards

You probably need to exercise a  little caution, as some of those in the POW range may be from smaller, local companies, although a fair number of London located companies would have operated fairly large fleets across the Metropolis.  I would suggest cross-referencing with the excellent catalogue of POW's in book, on the Lightmoor Press website, and then consulting the relevant volumes, as I would hope that someone in your club would have access to most, if not all, of the books referenced.

Looking through the listing, which is searchable, I found Taylor Brothers, based at Harrow, the other end of the Stanmore branch, together with a couple of local(ish) traders, P Bar and Sons of Pinner and Jeayes Kasner & Co., of Bushey and Shepherds Bush, with a long shot of West Middlesex Coal Co., based at Ealing.