Mainline class 45 traction tyres

Hi

I recently grot my old Mainline class 45 out, while she runs ok her traction tyres are slopping all over the place.

The wheels are 15mm so the tyres need to be a bit smaller than that.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I can use to replace them please?

Here she is recently.

• RMweb Gold

I had a Jouef Class 40 which needed new tyres, and not much hope of getting proper spares. If you can't get ones specifically for Class 45 these generic ones might be worth a punt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRACTION-TYRES-DIESELS-AND-TENDER-DRIVE-STEAM-LOCOS-10-OFF-/292111913937?hash=item44033a13d1:m:mIB5oHFlCVPhp-lclW18qYg

Would the mainline class 56 or warship use the same tyre? It may be worth a try. I do remember the 4f and dean goods tyres fitted the 56 so wondered if mainline did something similar with their diesels they produced ?

Or keep a eye on eBay for one of the early class 46 models Bachmann made. The chassis is a direct swap and you end up with a nice heavy loco with 1bo1 1bo1 drive and more pick ups. I have done this and never paid more than £25 each.

I replaced some recently, the tire size I tried with my local shop I think are a spare for a Hornby steamer, but I can't recall what loco . But they do the job. Might be worth trawling though the pdf s on the Hornby website.

Archived