Coach advice: non corridor all third

• RMweb Gold

As I have now nearly finished my Slaters D14 brake third clerestory, I want to build another coach to go with it.

I only need two non corridor coaches for brent (B Sets for Kingsbridge / Slips excluded), this are intended for the 5:55 arrival at Brent  Newton Abbot to Plymouth workmans train (and a corresponding return working coupled to the rear of a Plymouth - Exeter M Set.) 

Given the early hour, I am not supprised that I have never found a photo of this working.  the carriage working documents list it as comprising of a BT and a T, however I have no idea what particular diagram these would be (other than an assumption they will be old stock.)

I have been looking at the kit listings, and so far have found a C66 / C75 from Comet which i assume is far too recent a build.  

Can anyone advise of a suitable non corridor third kit for a prototype which would have been expected to be found in the South West in '47 please?

Rich, it will come as no surprise to learn that sightings of coaches are not recorded with anything like the diligence applied to the sighting of locomotives.  I have extracted some observations in the 1950s in the Newton Abbot area if thy are of any help.

If you can find details of third diagram C43, 4379 was observed in a Moretonhampstead train on an unknown date post war.  4388 was in the Devonport Dockyard workmens train in 1956 and 4422 was at St Ives in September 1957.

I would not rule out C66  and C75 since they were built for general service and, like most such coaches, sprinkled around the system so in theory could have turned up anywhere.  C75 1390 was sighted, again date unknown.  It was supposed to be in an Avonmouth set though.  1388 was observed at Kingswear in 1942 so is that close enough for you in time and space?  It would make a fine contrast to that delightfully ratty D14 that you have made.  As for C66s, 4064 and 4389 worked on the Moretonhampstead on its last day [Feb 1959] so were probably in use around Newton Abbot at that time.

There is an important health warning concerning C66 and C75.  If you build the Comet kit as it comes you get a hybrid.  The sides are OK for C66 but the ends and profile are more suited to a C75.  A C66 is as near as dammit vertical above the high waist.  The windows of a C75 are noticeably deeper than those of a C66.  The roof is as well as can be expected.

Best I can do ...

Chris