Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sri Lanka Coach

844fan

Hey all,

I recently found a photo of a coach but try as I might I have been unable to find much more than a photo and learn that she is from Sri Lanka.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/116487803

I don't know what it is but I quite like the design with it's British like looks and the small ladder. Anyway I really want to find out more about her. Even if it's some better photos 

• Like 2

The film 'Bridge on the River Kwai' was actual made in Sri Lanka (Ceylon then) and used a real train in the final sequence, but they appear to have been bogie coaches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaArxPRaCLc

Oh dear. Reminds me of the Buster Keaton "Great Locomotive Chase" where they used a real loco in the bridge collapse scene. I hate to see a loco destroyed in filming thank heavens Sierra No. 3 didn't have that fate in Back To The Future 3. That was only a model.

*shush*

:mosking:

Whole train of 'em here, at Kandy in the 1870s.

The design is very typical of British exports to tropical colonial countries, with the small windows, large ventilators, and very deep 'visors', all to keep the sun out and the heat down. It probably has a double-skin roof, too, made of two layers, with a free air-circulation space between.

There is an excellent online collection of old photos of from Ceylon at lankapura.com

Kevin

post-26817-0-73872600-1495918604.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Found another photo, but no details, other than that it is "very old"!

My guess is that the underframe actually isn't "very old", just "old", and that the original would have been wooden.

post-26817-0-54991800-1495919823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1