Buffer hight tolerances

844fan

None of the replies so far seem to have mentioned the rest of Europe, but yes they are the same, within the tolerances others have mentioned. Hence all the ferry wagons etc. could operate all over Europe and the UK.

Regards

Thank you very much. I had thought this were the case now I am 100%.

Why would the rest of Europe be discussed? This is the UK Prototype section.

In a topic about buffers mate the UK wasn't the sole employer of this system. It has relevance to the topic at large but the main question has been about Buffers in the UK I only wanted to be certain that Buffer Hights in the UK were compatible with those of other nations nearby. I have my answers and more thanks to everyone here.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I had thought this were the case now I am 100%.

In a topic about buffers mate the UK wasn't the sole employer of this system. It has relevance to the topic at large but the main question has been about Buffers in the UK I only wanted to be certain that Buffer Hights in the UK were compatible with those of other nations nearby. I have my answers and more thanks to everyone here.

As long as one remembers that the 14mm height in OO 4mm scale would be 1.25mm too high for HO 3.5mm:Ft models as on the continent.

Just saying,

Dave.

• Like 1

As long as one remembers that the 14mm height in OO 4mm scale would be 1.25mm too high for HO 3.5mm:Ft models as on the continent.

Just saying,

Dave.

True, but there are some 4mm scale models of ferry vans and other vehicles that came over on the ferries or through the chunnel. There are gaps in the ranges of models available but it should be possible to make up convincing trains of mixed stock ... with matching buffer heights!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The solebars of Chaldron wagons were between the wheels and above the axles which would suggest a centre line of about 2 feet above the rail and a spacing of about 4 feet. I'm afraid I can't be more precise, but I'll see what I can find.

In pre-metric days, the standard buffer height in the UK was 3' 5½" for wagons. 2½" was allowed for loading and a further 2½" on diameter for wear of the wheel tyres which were allowed to be returned once giving a minimum of just over 3'. Locomotives were frequently built with a lower buffer centre line - the GWR was fond of 3' 4½".

Sorry I've come a little late to this.

EDIT

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chaldron+wagons&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB0ZiByLbVAhVILhoKHXUbCuUQsAQIKg&biw=1447&bih=745#imgrc=R4vg2sE2-MmfrM:

EDIT

Oops I messed up!   :nono: (see below for excuses) I've replaced all the above references to 5 foot with the correct 3 foot! The figures are general. There were exceptions - Well wagons were usually lower for example.

Edited by Il Grifone

In pre-metric days, the standard buffer height in the UK was 5' 5½" for wagons. 2½" was allowed for loading and a further 2½" on diameter for wear of the wheel tyres which were allowed to be returned once giving a minimum of just over 5'. Locomotives were frequently built with a lower buffer centre line - the GWR was fond of 5' 4½".

Surely some mistake.....

Dave.

Surely some mistake.....

Dave.

Sorry hit the wrong key  - 3 foot not 5 foot of course. Nearly tea time hunger must have got the better of me or maybe SWMBO was complaining again that I spend too long on the computer....

• Like 1

One other factor to consider are the north eastern engines that had a lower set of buffers closer together for dealing with chauldron wagons, what height and spacing were they, typically?

Wow just look at that coupling rod set up never seen the like in any other design.

post-26041-0-15118800-1501694791.jpg

Wow just look at that coupling rod set up never seen the like in any other design.

Indeed, Stockton & Darlington no. 53 'Commerce', I beleive there was also an engine (whose name I've forgotten!) which had the forward crank pin actually slide up and down in the crosshead

The GER 'Decapod' had something similar for her centre connecting rod in order to clear the leading axle (which was also cranked). (It can be seen she was only intended as a 'one-off'!)

In modelling circles I've seen it used to enable sufficient swing for a body mounted rear coupling on an 0-4-4T.

Edited by Il Grifone

Possibly, before 1890, and there were a few wagon diagrams below 3' 5", but the GWR had adopted 3 5½" as its standard buffer height well before 1900.

Undoubtedly true, but I was referring to locomotives. A quick scan (mainly Russell vol. 2) showed that most diagrams did not include buffer height, but those that did (Castle, 56xx, 57xx, 74xx, 48/58xx, 16xx) specified 3' 4½". Being weight diagrams, presumably this is with a full boiler (?) which would allow a higher figure empty.