Glasgow Queen St Tunnel Ventilation shaft

BigAndy

Hello all,

Bit of a shot in the dark this one.

Do any of you good RmWebbers happen to know whether the ventialtion shaft ( the first one in the tunnel from the station, directly in the middle of the crossovers ), was either circular in construction or Square? Also, does anyone know the dimensions of this shaft?

Apologies for being pedantic, but there's a very good reason why I need to know - I'm building Queen St in EM and I'm also modelling a 12ft section of Cowlairs Tunnel, in cutaway form so that all detail and trains can be seen. Therefore, I want to represent the ventilation shaft, again in cutaway form, so as much info about this is necessary. I've now got to the point of constructing the Fascia and cutaway tunnel for the model, so I'm in need of you good folks' knowledge.

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

Unless the tunnel is cut and cover it will almost certainly be round or oval. Basic soil mechanics would mean that a square opening would likely not be stable without bracing - you can see this at Westminster tube station with the escalators to the Jubilee line.

Unless the tunnel is cut and cover it will almost certainly be round or oval. Basic soil mechanics would mean that a square opening would likely not be stable without bracing - you can see this at Westminster tube station with the escalators to the Jubilee line.

Yeah, it's a bit of a conundrum really. The first part of the tunnel, from the station end, to the middle of the two crossovers, is brick lined but the rest of the tunnel up the incline is blasted rock. That kind of leans itself to mean that the first part of the tunnel was cut and cover, because I found this on YouTube:

At 2.55, there is a good view upwards to the capped area, and to me it looks as though it is a square construction - but not totally sure hence the question. If it was cut and cover, they constructed the shaft and filled in around it. Above is the old Buchannan St Bus station, before they modernised it with the Buchannan Shopping centre.

cheers

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy, do you have a thread for your layout? I've seen you make reference to it a few times but not come across a thread for it?

Regards

Hello there,

Thanks for the interest but as yet I don't have a thread going on here for it. I do however, have a nice shiny, new website about to be launched for the layout, I've just got to do all my writey type stuff before the developer can open it to everyone. Hopefully it won't be too long now, maybe a couple of weeks or more, but keep your eyes open for it - the layout will be titled as ' Glasgow Queen Street EM ' so keep doing the odd google search and you should get to it one day soon.

If I remember, I'll put something on here but my memory aint what it used to be..........

cheers

Andy