Hornby class 50 capacitor issue.

I had a slight issue with a Hornby class 50. One wire had come off the motor itself.

So i stripped it down and re soldered the wire and reassembled the loco. When it was tested the capacitor started to emit a large ammount of white smoke.

I have removed the capacitor and the motor still runs well. ( i have tested it direct with jump wires from the track to avoid potential damage to the pcb.)

Are these small capacitors needed and will it effect the running at all?

Many thanks.

post-6736-0-44528800-1496089332_thumb.jpg

Commercial loco manufacturers fit small capacitors to DC motors to help reduce interference with devices such as televisions and radios.

The absence of the capacitor should not affect your loco.  However, it may create interference.  The way to test for that is to wait for your neighbours to ask if you are having problems with your telly.

>> Best removed if your using DCC , they sometimes upset slow speed running, decoders have on-board suppression components.  Also advisable to switch off the DC running option via CV29.

HTH

Ken

If you remove the capacitors you can get TV and Radio interference under some conditions but this seems greatly reduced since TVs  went digital.. Probably only an issue for analogue radios like most car radios.

Personally as a DC used I like to fit big ceramic capacitors as they seem to reduce arcing on my filthy/ rusty track in the dark recesses of my loft layout

Edited by DavidCBroad