Mainline tank wagons

I picked up 6 of these cheaply in the hope that they might be of use on my planned layout of LMS  1938 to 1947 albeit with modification to the livery.

I cannot find anything on the web

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards Ronpost-28691-0-92694000-1496338775_thumb.jpg

Sourced from various Cheona and Dave Larkin books

Esso was known as the Anglo American Oil Co until 1951

The BP wagon is late 50s-1960s

The Shell wagon is 1930s so only that one is appropriate

According to Tourret's 'Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain' Anglo American started using the Esso name on tank wagons around 1935. The book has a drawing which indicates the style of lettering is as the Mainline model, but on silver tanks the lettering should be blue with red shading. Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

According to Tourret's 'Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain' Anglo American started using the Esso name on tank wagons around 1935. The book has a drawing which indicates the style of lettering is as the Mainline model, but on silver tanks the lettering should be blue with red shading.

The pre-war Dublo and Trix tank wagons were lettered ESSO in blue, shaded red and the tanks were buff with a red stripe along the centre. This then being the livery for class A tanks. During the war, tank wagons were requisioned by the government and painted grey marked 'POOL'. Following the war, the tank colour became silver and the red band was moved to the solebar. During this period they switched from 'ESSO' to the oval logo. I'm not sure of the date of the change, but the Dublo tanker using this livery from dates from 1951. Obviously previous liveries did not disappear overnight.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=(dublo,trix)+esso+tankers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii0MD6jp_UAhXBLsAKHS9sAZgQ_AUICigB&biw=1447&bih=745

I have been slated before for using models as evidence, but they are correct in this instance (within the limits of the tinplate period).

The Bachmann models are a bit of a mix.

AFAIK the Shell taker is prewar style but should be buff not silver, the Esso is correct for immediate post-war but should have red solebars and the BP is appropriate for the sixties (roughly - Following the break up of Shell and BP). Previous to this they had SHELL-BP, sometimes with SHELL one side and BP the other (like the Tri-ang tank, but don't copy this one).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Sourced from various Cheona and Dave Larkin books

Esso was known as the Anglo American Oil Co until 1951

The BP wagon is late 50s-1960s

The Shell wagon is 1930s so only that one is appropriate

Thank you for that. Most importantly it tells me that the actual tank wagon construction is basically O.K. for the era I am modelling. I could not find any references or drawings or dates of construction for these wagons. I am a recent re recruit to the hobby and my library rather limited. I am sure what I need to know is out there but it is knowing where to look.

Regards  Ron

• RMweb Premium

A bit of back info:

The Anglo American Oil Company started in 1888 as an affiliate of J.D. Rockefeller's original Standard Oil Trust.

The Standard Oil Trust was was broken up by the US Supreme court in 1911 into smaller units.

One of these new smaller companies, Standard Oil of New Jersey, acquired AAOC at the time in 1911.

AAOC started using the name Esso (A phonetic version of SO) in the UK in 1934 for some products and eventually renamed itself Esso in 1951

These days the US company calls itself Exxon-Mobil, but still uses the Esso brand in many countries

AFAIK the Current Anglo American Oil Co. Ltd. is not connected.

Keith

Edited by melmerby