DCC wiring diagram

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Good evening,

Seeing as wiring is not my strong point and often gets me scratching my head I wonder if I can have a quick sense check of my proposed wiring for my 2mmFS Thurso layout which forms my submission for the Wild Swan cameo layout competition.

I have prepared the attached diagram (excuse the crudeness) and I assume for DCC I need to add feeds to positions A, B, C, D and E and possibly F, G and H?

I have also allowed for a break between the two turnouts but again the wiring is based upon how I would have done so for my DC layouts so not sure if this is essential or not.

post-3290-0-17268200-1496512970_thumb.jpg

Any pointers and advice would be much appreciated :good:

Many thanks in advance,

Pete

• RMweb Premium

How you wire the layout will depend on how you want to operate it and how many locos you want to be active at any one time. Can we assume that you are switching the polarity of the turnout common crossings when setting the points?

For 'one engine in steam' you only need feeds at A and E, and the power (and polarity) will continue along the route selected by the points. The break in the crossing is necessary to avoid a possible short circuit. If you want more than one loco then you will have to put in all the feeds you have shown AND you will have to put in extra rail breaks between those rails that will change polarity with the point settings (usually just after the turnout crossings).

HTH,

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Gold

If you want to wire it as if on DC, then just A and E suffice (as long as there's reliable contact through the turnouts). But that leaves you w/o pwer on all roads the points aren't switched for, and kinda defeats the purpose of using DCC.  So, you want power on all roads, all the time. In that case, ALL frogs need insulated fishplates to prevent shorts. In which case, all points indicated need to be connected to the DCC power bus. Theoretically you could skip C and D, but it doesn't hurt putting them in and improves reliability anyway.

HTH!

How you wire the layout will depend on how you want to operate it and how many locos you want to be active at any one time. Can we assume that you are switching the polarity of the turnout common crossings when setting the points?

For 'one engine in steam' you only need feeds at A and E, and the power (and polarity) will continue along the route selected by the points. The break in the crossing is necessary to avoid a possible short circuit. If you want more than one loco then you will have to put in all the feeds you have shown AND you will have to put in extra rail breaks between those rails that will change polarity with the point settings (usually just after the turnout crossings).

HTH,

David

Thank you DM and David! - the intention is that it is DCC only layout and turnout operation is by wire in tube using a sliding switch to change polarity at the same time. Bit low tech I know but partly cost driven and also keeping the sparx simples :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

If you are going to run sound equiped diesels - I think I remember reading you will be - then you need to ensure all individual  track sections are powered at all times for continuous sound/ease of use. So add feeds to all the sections, but make sure all point crossings/frogs are isolated. I find it best to just treat each piece of track as an individual section, and as we don't use fishplates in 2FS, you can lay each piece of plain track or point as one unit/section. Means more feeds, but easier if like me you just slap the track down on d/s tape before ballasting as you can lay/wire/test each bit as you go. I have redrawn your plan to show what I mean. Hope it helps.

cheers,

Izzy

post-12706-0-75451800-1496516075.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

If you are going to run sound equiped diesels - I think I remember reading you will be - then you need to ensure all individual  track sections are powered at all times for continuous sound/ease of use. So add feeds to all the sections, but make sure all point crossings/frogs are isolated. I find it best to just treat each piece of track as an individual section, and as we don't use fishplates in 2FS, you can lay each piece of plain track or point as one unit/section. Means more feeds, but easier if like me you just slap the track down on d/s tape before ballasting as you can lay/wire/test each bit as you go. I have redrawn your plan to show what I mean. Hope it helps.

Pete,

Through the marvel that is Photoshop, here are the Italian versions of your drawing (the black bits represent switched polarity) 

Thanks Izzy - yes that's right, sound equipped locos...now I understand why the sound abruptly goes off on Kyle when the turnout is switched against the quay siding - need to resolve that. I normally build the track in sections so that sounds a good plan.

Thanks David - the multiple loco diagram is the one I will pursue - it's in Juventos colours too ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Izzy - yes that's right, sound equipped locos...now I understand why the sound abruptly goes off on Kyle when the turnout is switched against the quay siding - need to resolve that. I normally build the track in sections so that sounds a good plan.

Yes, power switching/routing using the set of the points to control which sections of track are powered ( Kylestrome's first dia) is good for DC and DCC non-sound - saves section switches - and either system can be 'plugged in' and used, but falls down when sound locos are used. If you convert Kyle - easily done I would think - you'll have to fit sections switches for future DC use unless it's one engine only as they will all move together...........

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, power switching/routing using the set of the points to control which sections of track are powered ( Kylestrome's first dia) is good for DC and DCC non-sound - saves section switches - and either system can be 'plugged in' and used, but falls down when sound locos are used. If you convert Kyle - easily done I would think - you'll have to fit sections switches for future DC use unless it's one engine only as they will all move together...........

Izzy

Thanks Izzy - I think I just need to add a new feed to the siding for Kyle...it started out as DC...then I changed to DCC last year...then I got bitten by the DCC sound ;)

There's no going back now...