A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Aldeburgh Wharf/Woodstone Wharf

I'm entering my Gauge 3 generic layout. Depending on what stock is available by the judgement date, it's either:

Aldeburgh Wharf

Great Eastern c1905 imagining the Aldeburgh branch was extended to reach the Alde, as originally planned. The station building will probably be a copy of Cressing.

an E22 loco is about to be sent off for painting and the train of four-wheelers is near complete.

or:

Woodstone Wharf

c1855. Where the Eastern Counties Railway met the LNWR by the river Nene at Peterborough.

An ECR Gooch class A 2-2-2WT is under construction, a Bury goods loco is still in the 'daydream' phase of planning. A couple of carriages have been built. I'm hoping to persuade the Parly Trains gang to blow up some of their goods wagons. 

A different platform will be used to that shown in the photo

The photo shows the current state. There are two sections: 120 x 60 and 90 x 60. I need to make some changes to the backscene so the two boards and the front extension fold into a box 120 x 60 x 55, to get it in a car. The fiddle yard will be 180 x 90 and use cassettes. There will be a proscenium arch and LED lighting. 

post-21656-0-25281300-1496834775_thumb.jpg

Edited by geoff_nicholls
  • Like 7

Sounds and looks really interesting. The great advantage of modelling early railways is that the stock was generally smaller, which means that it can be ideal for cameo layouts. Just a thought. Are your dimensions in centimetres? I look forward to seeing your progress. Having seen the Gauge 3 layouts at STEAM at Swindon over the last couple of years I am in awe of your intentions.

Best wishes

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little progress with the Aldeburgh Wharf version of the layout. I've added the proscenium arch for the lighting strip. Another board has been ordered for the fiddle yard. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but it is gauge 3. Also apologies for the poor quality of the photo, I haven't got the hang of using the phone to take larger indoor shots yet.post-21656-0-43424900-1501862342_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting looking layout,with the 'walk-in' front,or is there another board to fit in the space?.

I have to admit that i did`nt know what gauge 3 was :dontknow: ......till i looked it up,and it`s quite big!

Brian.

Interesting looking layout,with the 'walk-in' front,or is there another board to fit in the space?.

I have to admit that i did`nt know what gauge 3 was :dontknow: ......till i looked it up,and it`s quite big!

Brian.

My aspiration is to model a couple of barges, or lighters, for the front. Strictly speaking there is just enough room for a scale Thames sailing barge, but leaning over it to deal with three-link couplings might be difficult.