Rich Papper's Workbench - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix
On 05/10/2021 at 02:23, saxokid said:

Had realy good catch up here Rich:)

great work as always from you my frend..

Very kind, thank you. Currently turning the air blue trying to get the windows out of a Bachmann 2f.

RMCA318.jpg.ad3ee1d7543ffb00b538c9fd0dd1bc69.jpg

No idea why they decided they needed that much glue. They are held captive by the interior moulding and clips that hold the body to the chassis anyway.

On the plus side I'm one side clear and I haven't put a scalpel through my hand yet.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All,

A few goings on today. First up, the most annoying coach in the world. Trying to do test coach 6 out of a Bachmann Mk2a FK. All manner of paint issues, latest of which is a small correction to the red involved masking the blue, only for the tape to then take some of that off. Much teeth grinding. Will leave it to harden then attack again. Last batch of 6 hoppers in the background. Wasn't going to do them yet, but the others look so good I couldn't resist (it also means I don't have to remember where all the bits are any more).

RMCA320.jpg.80eac3d256179ab5f49d4f5ac1996195.jpg

Then the slightly frightening sight of a Hornby 50 in primer. This was, and will be 50007. A limited edition at the time. Weathered in green. Tried to remove the weathering and failed spectacularly. Horrible, horrible mess, so stripped what I could and am starting again. 50149 in the background has gained the new steps now, just need to find the missing cable for the front.

RMCA319.jpg.8304ab90e3e3eea131f5eee7b42a5359.jpg

That's all for now. Trying to get the last few painty things through before winter stops me using the shed.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

Hope everyone is keeping well. A small and overdue update of progress on the workbench.

First the 50s. Have been continuing to fettle the buffer beam steps to replace all those missing or broken. After looking at the 3D printed ones for a while I wasn't sure of the size, so took Jerry's advice and picked up a pair of the Shawplan etched ones, only to fid they were exactly the same size! So have stuck with the 3D printed ones as these look most resilient. Have also been making sure I replaced any pipework that had been lost over the years before blending the weathering back in. 50032 and 50049 done so far, along with the chassis of 50007 - currently awaiting fitting of nameplates and transfers.

RMWB164.jpg.6b64d902989afb44054091cf7292526c.jpg

Next a couple of Mk2 coaches. Fairly new to modifications here as most other fettling has been with DMU vehicles or Mk1s. Had intended for a while to model the only NSE liveried Air-Con. Never went on it, but saw it a few times and I like an oddity. Picked up a cheap Bachmann 2F and set about conversion to a 2D. Have done most mods, but not addressed dampers on bogies yet. May leave as-is to keep the pick-ups. This just needs it's yellow stripe, varnish, and glazing making for the enlarged door windows. Alongside this is Test Car 6. I thought this would be quite an easy conversion with the PH Designs etch, but I've been a bit ham-fisted with it and the painting has caused some problems. Am currently adding transfers. I knew the lining would be tricky, but I hadn't bargained on the difficulty of the wasp stripes - either dealing with transfers this size or getting the stripes to line up. Still a work in progress.

RMWB165.jpg.1d839ad344b7364543891b74590e0d54.jpg

Chassis for the NSE one has had Air-Con modifications to switch from 2F to 2D. This will gain the interior from Test Car 6 as this was an FK. Some modification needed as the Bachmann Mk2A and 2F are quite different in how they go together.

RMWB166.jpg.60f4be15401db4a3fccb8a75acb4c64d.jpg

Also going on in the background are the last of the hoppers, but more on them when done. Hopefully more soon.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 9

• Tempfix

Hello All

Hoppers! I think I'm done with these now. Quite aware of the two new HAA models due out soon, but already had all the bits to tweak the Hornby ones. Apologies if I've mentioned some of these bits before, but thought I'd put a full run through in one place in case it helps anyone. I'm sure Hornby will continue churning these out, and some may appear on eBay cheap when the new ones come out so might be useful. As mentioned before, inspiration comes from James Makin's excellent workbench (here). I'm doing them about 10-12 years earlier so not going for quite as grotty. So:

Stage 1. There are a few brake bits that seem to ping off quite easily when handled, so the first thing I did was remove the wheels and then go about the brake bits with some superglue on a cocktail stick to pre-empt bits pinging off.

RMWB167.jpg.3d1dcdb84713d37c2ea25a70505a7fee.jpg

Stage 2: Separate body and chassis. I found the best way was to lever the edge of the clips on one side with a screwdriver and slide a paint-stirrer in from the side between the cradle and hopper tub.

RMWB169.jpg.bdd3e2f31c5d28dddc2a64aefadb63d3.jpg

Stage 3: A couple of my donors were CDA or HBA with canopies. Some needed a little filling if gaps were left when extra detail was removed.

RMWB168.jpg.25e7452fd35956c206ad4c03484e8605.jpg

Stage 4: Bodies received a blast of aerosol silver from local car parts shop. Cradles went red or yellow with Wilko aerosols.

RMWB170.jpg.5d00021efaa8574c5675ae1e4eddc249.jpg

Stage 5: New buffers. From top to bottom in the stack - originals, pull out metal buffer heads, chop off and file down moulding, fit replacements from Lanarkshire Models (here).

RMWB171.jpg.970a13ccf0264fec425d0c1f1f45d998.jpg

Stage 6: Once the usual gloss varnish and transfers from Fox (here) (I confess I just went with the numbers provided!). A bit of weathering on the hopper tubs with a mix of Humbrol 32 grey and Railmatch 402 frame dirt.

RMWB172.jpg.64ce05c25eff5d51fbec2ed33b44c1a1.jpg

Stage 7: I bought some coal loads many years ago from someone on eBay that I can't seem to find any more. I was 4 short, so some carved styrofoam, and a couple of layers of fine Peco coal chippings.

RMWB173.jpg.044518b84c97c24b5bd6795cf6915193.jpg

Stage 8: Detailing. Frames brush painted looking at porotypes of Paul Bartlett's excellent website (here). Very few have the whole frame red, and very few of the yellow seem to go down to the solebar. Chassis, frame and hopper reunited. West Hill Wagon Works magnetic couplings fitted within the rake (here). These were the intermediate length as I couldn't get away with the closer ones across one particular junction. Stenson Models brake disks fitted (here) - a mixture of plain and bolted. Buffer shanks picked out in silver.

RMWB174.jpg.70824ccd290e63202badcc63642b1da8.jpg

Stage 9: Last one in the rake has a Train Tech AL1 flashing tail light (here) looks wonky in picture, since straightened. I have since bought some of the DCC Concepts ones, but this was preferable as didn't need pickups. Also added an Accurascale instanter coupling (here) and an air pipe from the spares box.

RMWB175.JPG.fe138afa983f02689e213f24f98b7af5.JPG

There are three different variants in the rake, all reflecting traffic through Oxford in the mid to late 1980s. Amounts of weathering vary.

RMWB176.jpg.1f3c976be2162fa6b41fbc9b37e473b9.jpgRMWB177.jpg.8d98159c03bed8991d06bfb877918235.jpgRMWB178.jpg.87cdd1de8afc8fdd3a50c9c9d8becb9a.jpg

All in all quite pleased with the results, given how long it's taken. I've been wanting a rake of HAAs since I was a kid. I did have some of the older Hornby model once, but couldn't make them behave. A combination of my poor teenage tracklaying skills and wobbly axles was always frustrating.

Hope this helps someone. I'm sure the new Cavalex / Accurascale ones will be better, but I've reached a happy level with these.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

A bit more plodding along in the background has brought a couple of bits and pieces closer to fruition - although the weather might slow the last steps.

50007 now has all painting done, all etched bits attached, and all attachments that go on before varnishing. Chassis is done, so just need to matt or satin varnish and add some light weathering. Really pleased with how this looks now so don't want to overdo it. Was really gutted when I messed this one up, but fixing it has given me a bit of confidence to tackle a few more locos that I might otherwise have been reluctant to for fear of messing up the fiddly details.

RMWB179.jpg.7684b9116b9d0f0e86b95245c839a3c8.jpg

The NSE 2dFK is also complete except for a varnish and weathering. Although the temperature in the shed is OK, I'm a little concerned about the humidity. I have a moisture trap on the airbrush line, but not sure that will be enough. Annoying though it is I would rather stick them on a shelf in here for a month or two to give them the best chance. Test Car 6 has had all manner of fiddly bits sorted on the ends. Given how much was being added to the ends I thought I would carve off the moulded jumpers and replace with wire. First time I;ve done this. Did make the wasp stripe transfers sit flatter, but unsure whether the effect of the wire was worth the faff. This one needs a bit longer as I haven't added the generator fuel tank to the chassis or built an interior for it yet, but if the opportunity arises for a body varnish it can go too.

RMWB180.jpg.089d313be373cac8f332030599221af0.jpg

If these get sidelined for a bit I shall have to get one with something else. Not sure what, but do need birthday ideas - all manufacturers running so late none of the things I want have turned up!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All,

Some fiddling around with details while waiting for the weather to warm up enough to varnish the above. Decided it was time to fit the pipes to the Bachmann 117 and 121. As with the others, I tend only to fit these to one end so I can still run them in multiple with whatever coupling is on the other end. Lucky really as two of the multiple working jumpers broke as soon as I looked at them. Nicely detailed, but fiddly to fit. Don't seem very resilient, but maybe I'm just used to making the older ones from wire. They will be weathered when it warms up a bit.

RMWB181.jpg.a5ed3558c30da475a446c10a69f0f438.jpg

Also stuck the pipes on this chap. Now these are a lot easier to fit, although Bachmann's logic escapes me rather with these. Why include weathered pipes with a weathered loco if you're going to weather the air pipes, but not the vacuum ones? And why bother painting the ETH cable with the orange bits, only to include the socket unpainted? It's not just illogical, I can't see how it would save them any time or money.

RMWB182.jpg.4ba2ce0fe9e4c7522acbe8fc83f43ecc.jpg

On the plus side I did finally figure out which way round to fit the brake linkages to the bogies (and went back to fit them to 47573 and 47406 too having not noticed the mounting holes in over 10 years!). Hopefully more soon.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

A new addition to the fleet today:

RMWB183.jpg.4d32ed61393ceeeb81225937d4cf9cf2.jpg

As many others have commented, the build quality is pretty dire. Both front buffers were loose, the fitting of the light lenses is terrible - which makes the painting around them a bit odd too, and the cantrail line looks like it's been painted blindfolded. BUT: a) having checked with local retailer, the whole batch seems to be like this; and b) it was a present from my kids and I could fix all of these things if I was that bothered! Have already had it apart and fitted it with a TTS sound chip to match the other two. I suspect this issue is the result of worn out tooling - maybe that's why they are giving the model some tweaks this year. My most recent 50 fits together much more poorly than those that are 15 years older - the chassis and body just don't seem to align very well and there is a lot of slop in the clips. Do the tools wear out?

Talking of presents, another year older but a top cake this year.

RMWB194.jpg.ded44a8b5c652d511487f9f3a6e2ee05.jpg

OK a bit light for GWR green - but it seemed a bit churlish to ask for it in swallow livery!

It was very nice too.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• Tempfix

Hello All

Possibly opening a can of worms here - but the new Hornby R40162 DVT definitely has a different coloured lower body side to other recent releases. I know we're dealing with differences in lighting, camera, screen viewing it on etc. but there is a difference in the photo below. On the right is the new release buffer fitted 43013, on the left is 43079 from the R3602TTS release pair from a couple of years ago.

RMWB195.jpg.df11c96e77a8ce43cd3f3ccdb6ae4474.jpg

I think it looks better - more grey and less cream. Oddly a closer match to my venerable Lima Mk3s.

RMWB196.jpg.14fa015d66ba13ce0a6563a9b1965099.jpg

Getting older though - could just be my eyes!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening

Some plasticard tomfoolery today. Making a new interior for test car 6 (ADB975290). Luckily there are some interior plans and a good photo from Dave Bower here.

So far looks like this:

RMWB197.jpg.9cdc3b2ba41d44f2b3f00f4409876a2b.jpg

The original FK interior has been adapted for 13575.

Need some suitably 1980s computer gear now.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 4

Love the cake !

Some great stuff going on here.

Seems like Hornby have dropped the ball once more - Dave at Dean park said the same about the HST. Tools do wear out as far as I know so that could deffo be the problem with the 50 

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Just spent an hour or so reinserting images. I have found most, but a few not where they should be. Some showing from last year, sporadic before that.  My understanding from the info is that any before June last year will reappear once the server has sorted them all out again. Never mind, make new memories.

A massive thanks to Andy Y for all his hard work on it - what would we do without this?

Stay safe folks.
Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Lots of DIY jobs at home at the moment so not getting that much done on the layout. Some small jobs coming together on the workbench though.

First some sturgeons. At the Cheltenham show one of them rode fine everywhere on Oxford Road, the other skipped about a bit. I have added a little extra lead to the bogies themselves to see if that will help. I had wanted to run them empty, but can always add a load for extra weight if needed.

RMWB199.jpg.6ffe7cb3175585f050b5f6e53a439234.jpg

Next has been a DCC fight with an incredibly primitive Jouef motor bogie. TGV is high on the list of favourites of Thing 1. If did have a basic Hattons decoder in it but recently started to struggle supply enough power to the motor. The bogie itself seems to need fairly regular lubrication and I think the chip was borderline as to what it could supply as the drag increased. Testing a beefier TCS one at the moment.

RMWB200.jpg.07893a333e0ce8066da8e14be378c378.jpg

Main new job recently has been the arrival of some Dapol JHAs. Decided to get some just as West Hill Wagon Works brought out the magnet couplings especially for them. Much better than the supplied buckeyes which seem to shed springs at the drop of a hat. A bit of a fiddle to get in, but fit well.

RMWB201.jpg.468c4c7c6b16b281837447ee22fe7b47.jpg

A bit of a test of two 'outers' (using TC6 of course).

RMWB202.jpg.5372011ed01d5db245979b1f21600ff2.jpg

Couple together well, and I won't need to be splitting the rake in normal running. Given how well they pivot I think it might be possible to fit the air pipes at the end of each one. Will test for clearance. Lovely detail on these but they weigh a ton.

RMWB203.jpg.643dfad1e09a4b8337e7e90146610001.jpg

Also managed to get a week in the holiday carriages at Dawlish Warren over Easter (here). No connection, just satisfied customer. Brilliant if you like being very near the lineside action, but a little on the noisy side even for me! I recommend Carriage 5.

Need to get back to work to walk off the cream-teas now.

Stay safe.

Rich

• Like 8

• 5 months later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All,

It's been a while, but some updates now we're back in the season.

First up 50007. Success with the repaint, although I think I probably didn't need to dismantle it to the degree that I did given that most of it is the same colour. I even refitted all of the cab doors to open, next time I think I'd just glue them in shut. Did manage to get it together for it's return at the Cheltenham show earlier this year.

RMWB204.jpg.e21098e151e1a2da1c24e5c26d3aa84d.jpg

The 2D conversion of a Bachmann 2F to make FK13575 is done. I've fitted an interior lighting kit to it, but am having a few issues. Found on ebay it is one of those with a small bridge rectifier and a capacitor. I've used  the pickups this coach already had and some of my usual LED lighting strip in warm white. Bizarrely it seems to be OK for about half an hour and then go into a peculiar disco sort of effect of random on and off. Not sure how or why. All connections seem good so it must be something in the circuit board itself. Happy with the look though. This to run with forthcoming Accurascale 2Bs and a few upgraded Bachmann 2As.

RMWB205.jpg.6dd78f56f8c354ec8f61203818dbb030.jpg

Oxford Road is off down to Taunton next weekend so like to have at least one new thing each time, but gone for two this time - seemed only right given the gap! First up is 33119. Bought this to work with the Kernow 4TC years ago and given that the TC has been down the list for weathering (as it doesn't fit on OR) this hadn't been done either. My son has taken a recent shine to the 33s though and they are good runners so have been fettling this to appear at the weekend. Nothing unusual, just some Railmatch weathering colours, buffer beam detailing at one end and a few bits picked out. Annoyed this evening as I have scratched the roof dirt I put on last week turning it over to paint the sides of the fuel tanks with Tensocrom oil filters. Will have to give it another waft with the airbrush.

RMWB206.jpg.f57af31b592222b12b46e67afb62c645.jpg

Last one was one of the most nerve-wracking - the Bachmann 121. I figured if I didn't completely mess this up then I would attempt the 117 for next time. Main challenge was removing the bogie side frames to get at the wheels and protect the pickups. I couldn't seem to dislodge the speedo cable though and was afraid of snapping it. In the end I had the wheels out of the unpowered end and then removed the pickups and at the powered end I levered the bogie frame off, wrapped the wheels and tiny tiny cogs in masking tape and slipped the frame back over before spraying. Have tried to go for very light effects on the body itself, suggesting a recent repaint. Same on the underframe - is weathered, but the engine and pipework colours shill show through.

RMWB207.jpg.2c813a9cf9b50b6cfab7701561236fa8.jpg

A few targets over the winter when Taunton's out the way, but Underground stock will be at the top of the pile.

Stay safe folks.

Rich

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• Rich Papper changed the title to Rich Papper's Workbench - PHOTOS RESTORED
  • 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Some progress of late, but not as much as I'd like. Hopefully some more time over the next week or so between sessions with the cheese board.

Some engineers wagons on the pile at the moment. A ZAA Pike has gained a load of concrete sleepers, and I've been repainting a Bachmann OBA to a ZDA Bass. Neither finished, some more detailing to load - am making pallets of cable trunking for the Bass at the moment. These will join the two ex-OCA Bass on Oxford Road.

RMWB256.jpg.8b136f51e940ef66b9f341c09d117ef3.jpg

Meanwhile Thing 1 has been working on his first kit. He says it's a track inspection vehicle. Early days, but seems to go well so far. Black Beetle motor bogie under it, DCC'd and some lighting. Currently in gloss varnish as I try to convince him to put red BR arrows on it instead of NR logos.

RMWB257.jpg.78d83d84e680d68ba6d85dc48778cfc0.jpg

Only other thing to say is Happy Christmas to all. Wishing you all a healthy, happy time.

RMWB258.jpg.776c14fab3754dc45ce19a5e78dcc3fa.jpg

Until next time.

Rich

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening and Happy New Year

More wagon detailing of late. Have tried to do this with acrylic paints as have been assisted by Thing 1 and some techniques need learning with paint that easily washes out of one's eyebrows.

Two Rudd are now done. One of these was picked up second hand with a bit of damage to the paintwork, but some touch ups with Tamiya  grey and a weathering has hidden it. Have tried to make these less grubby than the Bass on the logic that they were more recent conversions. By the same token, the Grampus and Turbot will be more heavily weathered when I get to them. Added ballast loads to these.

Styrofoam cut and filed to mound shape:

RMWB260.jpg.954fbf94fc85c9070c5f23ed0eddd0c5.jpg

Paint with some grey acrylic. Splodge of glue when dry, then sprinkle over ballast. Trying Mod Podge for this for first time as it dries matt. Doing coal for the HAAs last year I realised that PVA stayed shiny underneath the coal I sprinkled over.

RMWB261.jpg.ec442e96ac82f54e4a371ad16ac38d4c.jpg

Add to wagons. They have also had some chassis weathering and replaced the Hornby couplings with some spare Bachmann ones just because they are a bit shorter. 

RMWB262.jpg.065aa3c09554b3c3e8d6a1a8c75c5160.jpg

Then the wooden bodied Bass. This has slightly more subtle weathering on the underframe, but I may yet tone the body down a bit more - looks a bit too freshly painted. Stenson Models brake disks added.

RMWB263.jpg.c2bff325373a0f3f10828a8750d1ba70.jpg

Pike has gained a concrete sleeper load and some of the same brake disks. This is Thing 1's first attempt at 'paint on-wipe off' weathering. Not bad for his first go and using acrylics. Just did two panels at a time to account for the faster drying time. This and the Bass need buffer shanks picked out in silver yet, but want to make sure varnish has properly dried first.

RMWB264.jpg.094f6b2357f51be5dafe62a8cfe2c394.jpg

At the moment all of these have tension locks as the intention is to be using them on Oxford Road (due out in Weston Super Mare next Sunday if anyone is passing), and it's good to be able to shunt / attach / detach. 

Hopefully more soon, although really need to do some scenery.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Can't spell!
  • Like 10

• Tempfix
20 hours ago, lincolnshiremodeller said:

Looking good. Is the concrete sleeper load a bought item or did you put it together yourself by stripping sleepers off a piece of track for example?

Simon

Thank you. The sleepers are from an old length of Peco concrete sleeper track. I just cut the webbing off and stuck them side by side on a thin piece of plasticard.

Rich

• Tempfix

A little more fettling this evening ahead of the Weston show on Sunday. Picked out the silver buffer shanks on the 33s. One of those jobs that makes them look a lot better - a 'why haven't I done that before' moment. 

RMWB265.jpg.94241f9591ca9c10058abb69d5316b7a.jpg

Only thing is, I'm now not sure whether the Heljan ones stick out too far? Or the corridor rubbing plate on the 33/1 doesn't stick out far enough? Some (belated!) research needed.

Rich

• Like 4

• Tempfix

OK, not really my update this one.

Thing 1 has finished his track maintenance thing. Was a very cheap 3D printed kit from Budget Model Railways (here - although I think they're in the process of moving to eBay and rebranding as Enterprise Models). One of a range designed to fit on the old Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. We had an old Tenshodo bogie kicking around the spares box though, so hit upon the idea that it could have an interior if we used that (and I wanted to try to DCC one as practice for next tube train anyway). The kit is a bit rough and ready, but went together quickly. Has taught him a bit about how to stick, file, prime, paint etc. Only bit he really struggled with was the glazing for the front windows, so I did these based on many a laserglaze experience.

At a late stage he then decided it was having a coupling hook. Surprisingly, for it's weight and size it can pull quite a bit and seems smoother with a bit of weight behind it.

RMWB267.jpg.c6e337f2c4682a3dcb1873d0ccf2c713.jpg

Has front and interior lights (soldering practice). Cruel close up, but he even got a drivers desk in.

RMWB268.jpg.9fefcdf84101ebc7c5797f1092fa22ef.jpg

Some of the seats he found in my DMU bits box. I think I used them as the first class seats in the 119. Probably not realistic, but not sure if it is based on any particular prototype, I know plenty of engineers who would have, and most importantly - he's 7. So I trust his judgement.

It's coming to the Weston show with us apparently. No idea if it will fit down the platform line on Oxford Road - it looks a bit wide.

Only one way to find out.

Rich

• Like 6