Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Directional light wiring on Hornby PCB

irishthump

Guys, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Hornby class 56 PCB which I'm planning to use in a kit built loco but I'm not sure which terminals on the board to solder to for directional lighting.

Here's a photo of the board:

C9822EEB-9AF7-40E8-B831-E0FCFE94BA4D_zps

I know terminals 3 + 4 are for track power and A + B are the motor connections, and I'm pretty sure 6 is the common. Would any of you guys know which of the remaining terminals correspond to decoder lighting functions.

I haven't had any luck with searching the web and the Hornby service sheets for the class 56 have no info on lighting functions.

Picture of the other side in hope of being able to see any circuit tracks???

One of the problems is that the Hornby Class 56 had several revision standards of the PCB affecting lights. Mine in particular does not support special effects lighting as available on their  Sapphire decoder.

To compound problems some Hornby diesel pcbs are common cathode and some common anode thus again affecting the lights.

It would be nice if you could input the part number on the Hornby website and get a wiring schematic for the part. It would be no skin off their nose and I think it would do wonders for their customer support street cred.

Have a look on here to see if any of the lighting projects listed have any clues to help:

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/railindex/trainsindex.htm

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Gold

Luckily my class 56 was close to hand so I was able to remove the body to take a look. The PCB inside it has exactly the same part number as your PCB so I was able to note all the connections.

you are correct with A and B being for the motor and the connections to the motor correspond to the connections on the PCB

Using your picture in the opening post and using the DCC socket end of the PCB to denote the rear of the loco the connections are as follows:

DCC socket end

1 = Rear Lights

2 = Common 

3 = Red wire Rail on Left side of PCB

4 = Black wire Rail on Right side of PCB

6 = Front Lights

Other end

1 = Front Lights

2 = Common

3 = Red wire Rail on Left side of PCB

4 = Black wire Rail on Right side of PCB

6 = Rear lights

Note

5 is not used at either end

the cathode (shorter leg) of the led goes to the common connection.

Hope this helps.

Edited by beejack

Beejack, thanks once again, that did the trick.

My problem stemmed from the fact that the PCB has the negative as the common. I had put together 2 small PCBs with surface mounted LEDs for the head/taillights but I had wired these with a common positive.

Thanks once again for the help!

It would be nice if you could input the part number on the Hornby website and get a wiring schematic for the part. It would be no skin off their nose and I think it would do wonders for their customer support street cred.

Hornby's 8pin circuit boards are negative common,  the 21pin ones are positive common (normally sound fitted) this can pose a problem if you attempt to swap the body from a sound fitted model with a non sound one, unless you also swap the cab lighting units over also, failure to do so will blow all the LED's - been there - done that ! 

• 2 years later...

Hi

Right i don't know if im dragging all this up again as this post was made some years ago but the title caught my eye.I know of several other posts about class 50 pcbs and there associated dcc problems but i am none the wiser.

I have several class 50s all giving me the same issue.That is with the directional lighting.When running in one direction the white light illuminates and the red leds at the reverse end light,correct.When power is reversed to run in the opposite direction the high intensity light lights and the red leds at the opposite end light but also with either a flickering white light or dull white light moving to bright when slowed.

I have used the same test chassis for these pcbs which has clean wheels.Track is also clean and all connections  to bogie pick ups and board are fine.

The test track is twin parallel lines of about 3 mtrs with cross over points at either end as i have no layout at present.

The question is am i missing something simple?Or is it a problem with one part of the board that can be repaired.

This is really starting to get to me and i am getting confused now reading all different posts even to the rebuilding of pcbs (although that was for a different purpose) to the fact that i have now ordered a class 56 pcb which i know will come with its own issues having looked inside hornbys latest leviathan last night one of those issues will be that the class 50 has 4 wires to the connector and the 56 only having 3 so that will be another question where does the fourth wire go on the 56 board? 

Just as a by product of this investigation into leviathan Hornby have made several internal  changes notably the pcb has been raised and what appears to be a heat shield between motor and pcb also the roof marker lights have been hard wired(this is a bonus) and also no roof fan or accommodation to run one as the brass drives at the ends of the motor have now changed(view photos)  I will have to post rest of pictures in another post.

Anyway any help is appreciated.Thank you

Edited by francoes
re size photos