RMweb

Push to make changeover

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

I'm investigating an idea for a friend's layout and am probably having a senior moment!

I want to be able to reverse track polarity to a section of track whilst either a push button is depressed or whilst a toggle switch is held in the "sprung" position.

In other words the polarity would default to one way round unless (and only whilst) the push button was depressed etc.

I don't want to complicate the process by using a push button (or toggle switch) to drive a relay as there isn't a convenient power supply to operate the relay.

I've tried several word combinations in the usual search engine and a couple of web sites but can't find the correct terminology (or whether such a beast exists).

Can any one offer suggestions please?

Surprisingly difficult to find, you are looking for a '2 pole momentary changeover switch'. One very simple and cheap way to achieve this would be to mount 2 microswitches side by side and arrange for them to both be operated at once. Most microswitches have mounting holes through them, so an appropriate pair of bolts would neatly hold them together and in place.

• RMweb Premium

For toggle switches you would want an ON-(ON) action, if they exist. ON-OFF-(ON) seem much more common.

Thanks for that.

I have no preference for either switch or push button so as the latter seem to be available (if I don't fancy cobbling two micro-switches together) I shall opt for that although I suspect that the postage on a single push button might make it rather expensive!