MTK musing

A couple of Little projects

A peak recently picked up in a semi built stage. Powered by two triang units which look to have been filed down prior to the new sides being added.one runs very smoothly, the other a bit hit and miss, so I might either disable that or try a spare that I have.i need to lower the bogies / body height and offer up the glazing to repair the cab beading.

post-5809-0-70545200-1498845231_thumb.jpg

post-5809-0-40326100-1498845254_thumb.jpg

post-5809-0-66346400-1498845281_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

And this is the second, a Swindon 123 nicely built, and bravely using the MTK bogie sides, with a Lima power unit which needs repositioning.

I am looking to tidy up some of the numbers and add the odd ohle flashes.

post-5809-0-23059600-1498845715_thumb.jpg

post-5809-0-13947800-1498845729_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Unless you are hauling huge trains of metal stock or have steep gradients on your layout, one power bogie with all the weight of that body will work.

Many years ago, I picked up an MTK A1A Warship. That had mismatched Triang power bogies. The beast is still running with one as a dummy!!!

I do envy you the 123. That is nice.

Chris.

Hi Chris thank for the note, I will probably end up with the single powered option but it will be interesting to assess the comparison. Although it was with magenesion with my first layout in the early 70's my class31 would fly around with 9 plus coaches with the single power uni

The Swindon unit was stroke of luck, as the trader at the toy fair listed it a vep ,which might be why a number of people ignored it, but also I guess that built MTK kits are rather marmite.The silver fox model looks very nice and on a lot of wish lists , it's also a great shame that Phoenix precision who now have the MTK/nnk range haven't released a collection of cabs/ kits for dmu/ emu as they do hold the key to so many missing gaps.

I ran the unit in its 4 car glory and all went well, the decals I guess may have been original with the kit , as the numbers are on the large size as is the br arrow,so something to tweak, the realignment of the power bogie could be a challenge, but all the carriages have interiors and the Hornby bogies have good close coupling, for better running I could replace them with Bachmann or Hornby but I would end up then spending more on those than the model cost me.