Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 90 Valances

Michanglais

It highlights the difficulty Hornby & Bachmann have with their 87 & 90. Their customers (us & others) will expect the pan to raise/lower & run under wires even if it will not carry current, but we also want it to look good.

Exactly why I think Hornby have nailed it, kept it simple and most accurate. No extra silly looking non-prototypical arms. To me the excellent Bachmann Class 90 is let down by the pantograph. Nice feature, but there's no way it can be modeled accurately in OO scale without a severe compromise.

Things seem to be coming together nicely here.

Not that I want to harp on about it but any further updates on the valances?

I was hoping to put in an order for numerous parts and would like to include the valances in that order if possible.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi MGR Hooper!,

I think I've been getting confused as to what you're producing (due to my obsession with valances!).

Will you consider making the valances at some point? I'm sure they'd sell well given the number of people who have tried to modify at least one end of their locos.

I know there's a resin replacement valance available at the moment but 3D printing seems to give a 'cleaner' / 'Sharper' finish.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi MGR Hooper!,

I think I've been getting confused as to what you're producing (due to my obsession with valances!).

Will you consider making the valances at some point? I'm sure they'd sell well given the number of people who have tried to modify at least one end of their locos.

I know there's a resin replacement valance available at the moment but 3D printing seems to give a 'cleaner' / 'Sharper' finish.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Michael

Yes I will, I'll start work on it next week, the resin one available doesn't scrub up well in my books. It just doens't match the rest of the beautifully etched parts. I will be doing both types of valances also.

Yes I will, I'll start work on it next week, the resin one available doesn't scrub up well in my books. It just doens't match the rest of the beautifully etched parts. I will be doing both types of valances also.

I have to say, I had my doubts about the resin parts. Well, I'll soon find out because I've got one on order.

I've also just placed an order for a number of your pantographs and under-body detailing. I was wondering, do you keep things 'on the books' as it were or are there just limited runs of each part? Financially, it'd be easier to buy in batches rather have to buy a massive quantity all at once in case an item goes out of production.

Whatever the case, I'm very much looking forwards to getting my hands on the finished products :)

Cheers,

Michael

I have to say, I had my doubts about the resin parts. Well, I'll soon find out because I've got one on order.

I've also just placed an order for a number of your pantographs and under-body detailing. I was wondering, do you keep things 'on the books' as it were or are there just limited runs of each part? Financially, it'd be easier to buy in batches rather have to buy a massive quantity all at once in case an item goes out of production.

Whatever the case, I'm very much looking forwards to getting my hands on the finished products :)

Cheers,

Michael

Hi,

All those available on my Shapeways shop are there to stay. So whenever you need it it's there. If by any chance under some circumstance something isn't, I'm just a PM away.

I've made a simple start on the Class 90's valance, some areas need tweaking, other areas are there just for testing out how it looks. Some initial CAD work here.

post-27484-0-81017200-1499535188_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-31410100-1499535199_thumb.jpg

@Michanglais

Here's the second rendition of the Class 90's valance, the curve is mighty hard to achieve, however this is the closest I've been able to get the curve accurate. Whether this is ordered in FUD or WSF it will need sanding and a small fraction can be taken off while sanding to smoothen out the curve.

a general view of the entire piece

post-27484-0-36716500-1499571414_thumb.jpg

a side view

post-27484-0-95506100-1499571416_thumb.jpg

a head on view

post-27484-0-75111800-1499571417_thumb.jpg

I design these in halves as it's much faster, especially when something is symmetrical.

post-27484-0-25447400-1499571420_thumb.jpg

From here on, this is where I have the base model, I can now replicate the two versions from here. I'll model the Inter-City versions with chopped-Oleo buffers, rubbing plates and it will include all the pipes on a sprue. I will also do the Freightliner versions with the rounded-rectangular buffers, slot for the coupling hook and brake pipes. Buffers will be a separate item as everyone has a preference and so I'll just leave some space for those who want their preferred brand of buffers to be added. The Freightliner version will not have the coupling hook modeled as it may not adhere to 3D printing criteria and also there's better and finer versions available from Hornby, Smiths etc.

Cheers.

@Michanglais

Here's the second rendition of the Class 90's valance, the curve is mighty hard to achieve, however this is the closest I've been able to get the curve accurate. Whether this is ordered in FUD or WSF it will need sanding and a small fraction can be taken off while sanding to smoothen out the curve.

a general view of the entire piece

attachicon.gif1.jpg

a side view

attachicon.gif2.jpg

a head on view

attachicon.gif3.jpg

I design these in halves as it's much faster, especially when something is symmetrical.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

From here on, this is where I have the base model, I can now replicate the two versions from here. I'll model the Inter-City versions with chopped-Oleo buffers, rubbing plates and it will include all the pipes on a sprue. I will also do the Freightliner versions with the rounded-rectangular buffers, slot for the coupling hook and brake pipes. Buffers will be a separate item as everyone has a preference and so I'll just leave some space for those who want their preferred brand of buffers to be added. The Freightliner version will not have the coupling hook modeled as it may not adhere to 3D printing criteria and also there's better and finer versions available from Hornby, Smiths etc.

Cheers.

This is all excellent news for me! 

Given the number of liveries the class wore and how long it would take Bachmann to get around to doing them all, I've decided to pretty much do it myself and these parts will all help greatly in improving the appearance of the Hornby model, which is (obviously...) what I'm going to be using as a basis for my models.

I'm not a rivet counter and tend to lean more towards the overall 'look' of a model so these valances will be a god send as they are such an important part of the design of the 90s.

Thanks for making my modelling life so much easier!

Cheers,

Michael

PS Could you let me know what 'FUD' and 'WSF' are?

This is all excellent news for me! 

Given the number of liveries the class wore and how long it would take Bachmann to get around to doing them all, I've decided to pretty much do it myself and these parts will all help greatly in improving the appearance of the Hornby model, which is (obviously...) what I'm going to be using as a basis for my models.

I'm not a rivet counter and tend to lean more towards the overall 'look' of a model so these valances will be a god send as they are such an important part of the design of the 90s.

Thanks for making my modelling life so much easier!

Cheers,

Michael

PS Could you let me know what 'FUD' and 'WSF' are?

I'm glad you're happy. I am currently adding the final touches now to both variants. Sorry I cannot provide pictures, as you can see from the forum banner there's some work being carried out.

FUD is "Frosted Ultra Detail"

WSF is "White Strong and Flexible"

These of just two of the wide range of materials available from Shapeways. I'll most likely only offer it in FUD now because of the finer detail parts that cannot print 100% accurately in WSF.

Cheers.

I'm glad you're happy. I am currently adding the final touches now to both variants. Sorry I cannot provide pictures, as you can see from the forum banner there's some work being carried out.

FUD is "Frosted Ultra Detail"

WSF is "White Strong and Flexible"

These of just two of the wide range of materials available from Shapeways. I'll most likely only offer it in FUD now because of the finer detail parts that cannot print 100% accurately in WSF.

Cheers.

Many thanks for the info

Cheers,

Michael

Some eye-candy for Michael.

The buffers are representative, will be enhanced before I upload them, their dimensions need to be adjusted.

post-27484-0-79539800-1499609135_thumb.jpg

Here's what will be 3D printed. It's complete albeit needs to have some part hollowed out to reduce the overall cost. Hope you'll like it. I've shallowed the curve as much as possible, a fairly detailed representation of what I could get of both versions. Brake pipes are already available from many other cottage industries and manufacturers. Hornby's Class 60 detailing pack and Class 50 detailing pack should give you most (if not all) the parts you require. Holes provided for fitting the detailing parts. 

post-27484-0-68281100-1499609306_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-49293300-1499609309_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-94943100-1499609310_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-21807400-1499609313_thumb.jpg

Some eye-candy for Michael.

The buffers are representative, will be enhanced before I upload them, their dimensions need to be adjusted.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Here's what will be 3D printed. It's complete albeit needs to have some part hollowed out to reduce the overall cost. Hope you'll like it. I've shallowed the curve as much as possible, a fairly detailed representation of what I could get of both versions. Brake pipes are already available from many other cottage industries and manufacturers. Hornby's Class 60 detailing pack and Class 50 detailing pack should give you most (if not all) the parts you require. Holes provided for fitting the detailing parts. 

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Holes provided for adding the detailing parts! (I've got lots of Roco parts that will do the job nicely, along with numerous styles of pipes from my old US modelling days). What more could I ask for?! 

I've just finished my first airbrushing job (of all time) on a Class 90 - a fantasy livery (intercity executive with the yellow roof above the cab). Once I get all these parts fitted and have a go at weathering, I'm sure I won't notice that you can tell I'm a novice with the airbrush :)

Are people aware of these parts being manufactured in the Bachmann Class 90 thread? I'm sure a lot of them would be very interested given how long they're going to have to wait for their favourite liveries to be produced...

This has turned out to be a very exciting weekend for me modelling-wise. 

Cheers,

Michael

Are people aware of these parts being manufactured in the Bachmann Class 90 thread? I'm sure a lot of them would be very interested given how long they're going to have to wait for their favourite liveries to be produced...

Cheers,

Michael

As of now it's not a full time business for me, and I won't be advertising it as I don't make a profit from it either. If people find it I'll be glad that it'll be of use to them. Hence why I only PM'd two people privately.

With regards to the Bachmann model, it's highly likely that people can buy a similar Bachmann model and repaint it if their desired livery isn't produced. My 3D prints will only be useful to those with older Hornby models.

I was wondering, do you keep things 'on the books' as it were or are there just limited runs of each part? Financially, it'd be easier to buy in batches rather have to buy a massive quantity all at once in case an item goes out of production.

They are 3D prints so they should be held as electronic files & printed off when ordered, therefore they should stay indefinitely.

As fortt he items themselves, they look really good. I have got part way through building my first plasticard valance* & yours are available, much easier to fir than my manual assembly & have extra detail like the buffing plate. They look great & I think the 90 I am working on now will be my last with plasticard valances!

* my 3rd including the 90 I can't find.

As for the buffers, it is useful that you have produced these separately. A1 had no chopped ones left when I last saw their stand

For some reason I don't understand, these were rotated by 90 degrees later in life so having them as separate parts allows them to be fitted either way around.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

As for the items themselves, they look really good. I have got part way through building my first plasticard valance* & yours are available, much easier to fit than my manual assembly & have extra detail like the buffing plate. They look great & I think the 90 I am working on now will be my last with plasticard valances!

As for the buffers, it is useful that you have produced these separately. A1 had no chopped ones left when I last saw their stand

For some reason I don't understand, these were rotated by 90 degrees later in life so having them as separate parts allows them to be fitted either way around.

I'm glad the buffers will be of some use...Also thanks for your kind words.

Cheers!

I'm glad the buffers will be of some use...Also thanks for your kind words.

Cheers!

Indeed, the buffers will definitely be of great use!

I've just received my first order and have sent you a PM with my first impressions.

I have to say, they're very good!

Cheers,

Michael

Indeed, the buffers will definitely be of great use!

I've just received my first order and have sent you a PM with my first impressions.

I have to say, they're very good!

Cheers,

Michael

Will read it and send you a reply. I tried ordering 5 days ago, but was experiencing difficulty due to the internet. Also Shapeways is really fussy.

Will read it and send you a reply. I tried ordering 5 days ago, but was experiencing difficulty due to the internet. Also Shapeways is really fussy.

I placed an order yesterday.

Am I reading this correctly: You created the design but Michael & I are both going to see the finished item before you?

I placed an order yesterday.

Am I reading this correctly: You created the design but Michael & I are both going to see the finished item before you?

Unfortunately yes. I was placing my order on the 8th or 9th IIRC, had a ton of issues with Shapeways. Firstly they will not deliver to an address other than the one my credit card is registered with, secondly for some reason it was showing a "product completion date" i.e. a tentative date it would be 3D printed as 26/07/2017 or 29/07/2017. So I didn't place an order as I won't be home then. I had to hold off. I might try and get it printed elsewhere if I find a suitable date or if Shapeways allows me to send it to an alternate address.

I've just got my valances and buffers in from Shapeways. 

I have to say they look excellent. 

The valances are a perfect fit and the fitting guides are a superb idea - they'll make the job of installing the valances so much easier.

The buffers are a perfect fit, too. 

Very nice work!

I haven't had the chance to cut away the Hornby valance to fit the the Shapeways yet but I can't see it being too much trouble.

It'll be interesting to see what Bachmann's solution is and whether it's as aesthetically as pleasing. 

Excellent work from a very happy customer!

Just a quick question.

Did you model the valances on the newer Hornby model or the older? (Most of mine are the older)

I think there may be issues with fitting the new valances to the older body due to the way in which the bogey is held in place.

The body is going to have to be cut right back to the 'steps' to keep the whole of the valance's pointed end, which will cause issues with the bogeys being held in place (I think).

My models are all for display so this may not be an issue but it might for those who want to fit the valances to a front end and run them as they will have to cut some kind of semi circle into the Shapeways part.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Michael

From a comment I saw in another thread, I think Sarah has based this on the newer chassis.

All of my 90s are the older type, so I will see how I get on.

Incidentally, my plasticard conversion is still in progress. I just have some final filling, smoothing off & painting to do.

I have taken photos but they are all still in .raw format in my camera, which is on a tripod looking down at my workbench.

I've just got my valances and buffers in from Shapeways. 

I have to say they look excellent. 

The valances are a perfect fit and the fitting guides are a superb idea - they'll make the job of installing the valances so much easier.

The buffers are a perfect fit, too. 

Very nice work!

I haven't had the chance to cut away the Hornby valance to fit the the Shapeways yet but I can't see it being too much trouble.

It'll be interesting to see what Bachmann's solution is and whether it's as aesthetically as pleasing. 

Excellent work from a very happy customer!

Great I'd love to see how it turned out actually. Any chance of some images? It might be a tight fit, if so a little filing may be required. Some close inspection and filing is what it will require to complete. I've intentionally made things 0.1mm larger because of fit issues and also 3D prints still aren't the smoothness and I've taken into consideration sanding.

Just a quick question.

Did you model the valances on the newer Hornby model or the older? (Most of mine are the older)

I think there may be issues with fitting the new valances to the older body due to the way in which the bogey is held in place.

The body is going to have to be cut right back to the 'steps' to keep the whole of the valance's pointed end, which will cause issues with the bogeys being held in place (I think).

My models are all for display so this may not be an issue but it might for those who want to fit the valances to a front end and run them as they will have to cut some kind of semi circle into the Shapeways part.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Michael

I'm really sorry, they are indeed designed for the newer model. Not having the older model in hand meant that dimensions were always going to be a hit and a miss. There's two options:-

- File the 3D printed valance to shape and use plasticard where ever you need to to build up a wall for the bogie to fit

- Replacement chassis and bogies of the newer kind are easily available for a few quid. Swap it over and your result is also better running capabilities.

- Ofcourse many modelers remotor the whole thing so they'll be much luckier.

I will immediately change the description on my Shapeways page and mention the fact that it's for the newer version.