Lightning conductors on tall chimneys

Lightning conductors are fitted to pretty much all tall structures these days, but were they that common in the early 1960's? I have just built a scale 70ft brick boiler house chimney and wonder whether to fit it with a conductor rod and earth tape. Unfortunately, pictures of the period don't seem to be of good enough quality to see whether similar chimneys had them then.

post-24883-0-04991300-1499172858_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is an interesting question - I've must admit I never really thought much about it, but I believe it also applies to my layout 'Sproston' which is set 1956-1965, and its creamery also has a 70' chimney.

Looking forward to see what useful info comes out of this topic...

Regards,

Steve

(SIGTECH)

Easy answer - YES.  They were on most buildings that were higher than surrounding trees, e.g. almost every church.

The actual conductor was often very thin, and before the 60s the conductor down the side of the building tended to also be thinnish, the wide strip which is most common nowadays was introduced slowly

British and French Men-of-War as long ago as the 18th c were fitted with lightening protection, the French included a loop at the top which under modern testing has proved to be more efficient than the straight ended variety.  So by extension it's fair to say the benefits of fitting lightening conductors would be understood and be common place in architecture at this time.

Best

Guy

One of the interesting things about lightning conductors is that their inventor Benjamin Franklin thought that they would work better if they had a sharp point. Mad King George III not wanting to take the advice of a man he regarded as a traitor ordered that British Royal buildings should have blunt ended lightning rods. Modern science eventually proved that the King was right and that blunt worked better.