Chain For 3 Link Couplings

Hello all,

I have been trying for some time now to find chain that I can cut up and use for 3 link couplings. I have already sourced whitemetal and photo etch coupling hooks but cannot find the chain anywhere. I understand Slaters do packets of couplings and I have used them in the past, but they are fairly expensive in my eyes and I am also not too bothered about the springing.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Nelson

Hello all,

I have been trying for some time now to find chain that I can cut up and use for 3 link couplings. I have already sourced whitemetal and photo etch coupling hooks but cannot find the chain anywhere. I understand Slaters do packets of couplings and I have used them in the past, but they are fairly expensive in my eyes and I am also not too bothered about the springing.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Nelson

Scale??

Hi Nelson,

What about making your own chain links from florists' flower arrangement wire? They sometimes use 0.5 mm blackened iron wire.  If you make yourself a metal strip to wind the wire around, 100 mm long x 2.5 mm wide and 0.75 mm thick, you can have an unlimited amount of links!  You will need a hole at one end of the strip to hold the end of the wire while you start turning.

The only tricky bit is slitting the links down the centre of one side to separate them, but I am sure  a person with your talents could manage that.  

I will try and find a photo of my former to illustrate this explanation.

Colin

The photo shows what I use. The tool is as described by Colin. I have run out of black iron florist wire (from ebay) but used the plastic coated for the photo. When wound, I only do about 8 at a time slide them off after releases from the hole and clip them into individual links with the nail clippers. Then assemble them. The wire is so soft that the job is easy. Make sure you round off the edges of the bending tool to make the sliding off off the wound links easier.

post-28691-0-39303000-1499328379_thumb.jpg

post-28691-0-50125700-1499328410_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I used to make them using 0.5 mm diameter copper wire wound around two 2 mm rods taped together. The resulting links are a little too long (12" rather than 10"), but this helps with coupling and negotiating curves, especially if the hooks and buffers are not sprung. The copper oxidises to a nice rusty colour.