Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Collections

I have been asked to suggest a dealer/auction house by an old friend to dispose of his collection/model railway; I have no experience in this field!  Has anyone out there any pointers? like use this one or avoid like the plauge? Thank you in advance.

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A dealer will of course give you no where near the market value - probably at best 50% of the value. Having said that it would be quicker.

I'm in the process of selling of a friends collection. I have the advantage of being part of the SVR and funds going to the Charitable Trust so I can run stalls on the railway and try to sell to people there by circulating lists of what is available, which in turn means more for the Trust. We know though eventually Ebay will have to be used and that will eat up more cost. I priced everything on sold ebay prices, not the mad amounts some try to get.

I guess how you do it depends on what the collection is, how much stuff there is, is it new and fairly easy to move, is it older things which may have a lower value,  is it just model railways, is it negatives (if they are pre 68, I might be interested) how well organised it is. I once sorted about 10 large boxes of a collection of parts just thrown in for another friend to help him sell them.

Good luck

• RMweb Gold

Depends where you are but in auction house terms you should find that Special auction Services, near Newbury will put on fair estimates and put things in the right auction (they have several for this kind of thing) to get a sale).  Prices achieved depend very much on the way the market is at the moment but they will take the lot - even boxes of odds & ends etc.

http://www.specialauctionservices.com

A lot of clubs and societies have disposal schemes, usually items are advertised internally for those interested or held at a members house for viewing. Whilst you are not guaranteed to get full market value it is a relatively quick and hassle free option. An auction house of course, will take commission of  anything up to 20% plus the V.A.T. on that 20%. In the second hand market, the auction price gained is very much the whole sale, or value to the trade (minus your commission) price, so do keep that in mind when estimating the collections worth. Sorry I can't advise on any particular auction house, but it's been my experience (antique trade) that auctions are on the whole honest, and just interested in speedy turn over.

Best of luck

Guy

Ah, but what was he (presumably) collecting during all those years?

00 or 0 or WHY?

R-T-R in good nick, or kitbuilt, and if so how well?

Popular, collected, makes like vintage Hornby, Bassett Lowke, Dublo, Wrenn, or post 70s plastic?

These things will, at least in part, determine how best to deal with matters.

• RMweb Gold

00 or 0 or WHY?

Popular, collected, makes like vintage Hornby, Bassett Lowke, Dublo, Wrenn, or post 70s plastic?

All sorts of potentially different markets in there if the mix is like that hence I would think the best advice is to go to an expert - at least a decent and experienced auction house would at least give a sensible estimate (and they know the different markets over a wide range of the hobby).

00 or 0 or WHY?

Kevin, my disadvantage is I have never seen said models! despite invitations over the years.All I know is there's lots of Hornby "00" two and three rail, condition? they have been used! probably a lot! So yes, as Mike says probably several markets and some just ebay fodder. I have suggested a certain auction house near Newbury but its not really my call.