Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Scale Trains SD40-2

I always find it odd the way companies try very hard not to give info' out. The Scale Trains SD40-2 looks a great loco I'm about to order a NS unit (none sound)

The loco has a great lighting layout with front and rear ditch lights...or it has as long as you fit a ESU LokPilot 21 pin chip! Which is the only chip the loco is wired for. It sounds a lot like a Dapol loco I had trouble with

Edited by stock_2007

• RMweb Gold

I always find it odd the way companies try very hard not to give info' out. The Scale Trains SD40-2 looks a great loco I'm about to order a NS unit (none sound)

The loco has a great lighting layout with front and rear ditch out...or it has as long as you fit a ESU LokPilot 21 pin chip! Which is the only chip the loco is wired for. It sounds a lot like a Dapol loco I had trouble with

I rather fancy that you have partly answered your own question - an 8-pin decoder cannot access the required number of simultaneous function options on complex lighting and sound installations. I think this is what led to the introduction of multiple-pin interfaces of recent years. At least you would find you got value from the decoder. I need the same model for commanding very simple lighting in a Rail87 4-wheel railcar trailer, which doesn't even have a motor!

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of one of the second run of this model.

Mine is a C&NW in 'as delivered' "old yellow" or "Stagecoach" yellow, in the 'Rivet Counter' series, fitted with a Loksound decoder.

40295750072_34b516fa82_c.jpg

39443292335_f129b72f88_c.jpg

I do like the class lights that change colour with multiple presses of F5.

38531134030_077e36c1dd_c.jpg

Correct northwestern style nose mounted 'gong' bell.

39443292145_4200797105_c.jpg

Great detail on the trucks and that detailed knuckle is metal.

25468925487_9739b8045f_c.jpg

Nice fans.

40295749762_b824a2a2b9_c.jpg

I was expecting better detail on the horns though. Strangely, the number boards only seem to light up when the sound is on.

25468923427_3572d7aaca_c.jpg

The roof is everything you would expect.

38531132700_20b4ba9f5b_c.jpg

Really? A sweeping brush fitted to the nose! F7 sets the warning flasher going.

38531042430_a5e168b968_c.jpg

Looks every inch a northwestern SD40-2 to me.

The paintwork and lettering detail is very fine indeed - there is nothing to do but add weathering.

I've now got quite a few C&NW SD40-2's from Athearn, Kato, Broadway, this is as smooth running as a Kato, better sounding than Broadway and exquisitely detailed. I'd say that Scaletrains.com have indeed made the definitive classic American loco. I'm very pleased with it, it's a heavy model too so I will have no haulage problems on anything I can run it on.

I'm rubbish at shooting videos but here's my effort at demonstrating it;

Cheers,

John.

• Like 6

Thanks, William.

I bought it directly from Scaletrains.com.

IF I get another (maybe in a more modern livery?) I would probably try and buy from Trainworld or similar as shipping was approx. $35, ouch!

Re: sound - well, the Americans (and me!) have been highly enthusiastic about it for over twenty years now as it adds a terrific dimension to operating your models. The key is to get the level of volume correct, I like it just below the threshold of what my ears can bear in a small room at home but at an exhibition, I think it should be audible only within about three feet of the model - a difficult ask as the hall volume ebbs and flows.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Trainworld now has a minimum overseas shipping cost of $40.00. However, the overall cost of the Atlas sound fitted loco I bought still cost £50.00 cheaper than buying from Gaugemaster.

With regard to sound. The 'Turbo Whine' of an EMD prime mover can be irritating after a while. However, I love the sound of my EMD GP38-2 as it has a non-turbo prime mover with the superb 'Drivehold' feature.

• Like 1

Dear RMWebbers,

Thankfully, just like the pursuit of Scale Visual modelling,
Scale Aural modelling means that once the appropriately-scaled sonic model is achieved,
there is no (scale modelling) reason to change it (IE make it louder)...

Turning up the Master Volume CV "because it's a noisy room"
is IMHO no different than putting G scale details on a HO loco "because No-one notices the scale-appropriate-sized details at exhibition-viewing distances"....
(If the punter is truly-engaged by the model presentation,
they _will_ automatically lean-in, get up-close,
and be rewarded with a "finescale" audio bonus which is in-keeping with the otherwise-finescale visual model...

...said another way, even a prototype 12"/1' scale loco in notch8, screaming it's prime-mover out,
is rendered "inaudible" by an earthquake or tornado-worth of "ambient noisefloor"... ;-) )

Happy modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS just because a "scale sound" loco or layout can't be heard "against the 12"/1' scale noisefloor of the room" at 6' listening distance,
does not mean the audio thru-air soundwaves the ear recieves aren't physically present in the air,
Only that the punter has to actually _consciously listen_ for them... ;-)
(funny, that's just the same as the punter having to _consciously look_ for the "superdetails" in a finescale modelling scene...)

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 1

Dear RMWebbers,

Thankfully, just like the pursuit of Scale Visual modelling,

Scale Aural modelling means that once the appropriately-scaled sonic model is achieved,

there is no (scale modelling) reason to change it (IE make it louder)...

Turning up the Master Volume CV "because it's a noisy room"

is IMHO no different than putting G scale details on a HO loco "because No-one notices the scale-appropriate-sized details at exhibition-viewing distances"....

(If the punter is truly-engaged by the model presentation,

they will lean-in, get up-close,

and be rewarded with a "finescale" audio bonus which is in-keeping with the otherwise-finescale visual model...

...said another way, even a prototype 12"/1' scale loco in notch8, screaming it's prime-mover out,

is rendered "inaudible" by an earthquake or tornado-worth of ambient noisefloor... ;-) )

Happy modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS just because a "scale sound" loco or layout can't be heard "against the 12"/1' scale noisefloor" at 6' listening distance,

does not mean the audio thru-air soundwaves the ear recieves aren't physically present in the air,

Only that the punter has to actually _consciously listen_ for them... ;-)

(funny, that's just the same as the punter having to _consciously look_ for the "superdetails" in a finescale modelling scene...)

and sadly I'm a bit deaf and wear spectacles so I'm no good to anyone :senile:  

Dear Stock,

sadly I'm a bit deaf and wear spectacles

Nothing out of the ordinary there, plenty of active (Visual and Aural) modellers overcoming similar age-of-life factors
(I personally wear glasses, and am -3dB down at 1K in my left ear...)

so I'm no good to anyone

Now, that's a flat-out self-depreciating lie, and I (and I'm sure many other members here) won't let you get away with it...  :nono:  :yahoo:  :good:  :D

As long as you can find the motivation in yourself to 

(in Modellng, as in Life)

Aim to Improve,

then what you're doing is most-certainly "good enough" to stand tall here or anywhere for-that-matter...

Happy Modelling,
Prof Klyzlr

Hi All,

I recently took delivery of one of the second run of this model.

Mine is a C&NW in 'as delivered' "old yellow" or "Stagecoach" yellow, in the 'Rivet Counter' series, fitted with a Loksound decoder.

40295750072_34b516fa82_c.jpg

39443292335_f129b72f88_c.jpg

I do like the class lights that change colour with multiple presses of F5.

38531134030_077e36c1dd_c.jpg

Correct northwestern style nose mounted 'gong' bell.

39443292145_4200797105_c.jpg

Great detail on the trucks and that detailed knuckle is metal.

25468925487_9739b8045f_c.jpg

Nice fans.

40295749762_b824a2a2b9_c.jpg

I was expecting better detail on the horns though. Strangely, the number boards only seem to light up when the sound is on.

25468923427_3572d7aaca_c.jpg

The roof is everything you would expect.

38531132700_20b4ba9f5b_c.jpg

Really? A sweeping brush fitted to the nose! F7 sets the warning flasher going.

38531042430_a5e168b968_c.jpg

Looks every inch a northwestern SD40-2 to me.

The paintwork and lettering detail is very fine indeed - there is nothing to do but add weathering.

I've now got quite a few C&NW SD40-2's from Athearn, Kato, Broadway, this is as smooth running as a Kato, better sounding than Broadway and exquisitely detailed. I'd say that Scaletrains.com have indeed made the definitive classic American loco. I'm very pleased with it, it's a heavy model too so I will have no haulage problems on anything I can run it on.

I'm rubbish at shooting videos but here's my effort at demonstrating it;

Cheers,

John.

I was looking over your loco again and I wondered if you knew of anybody who makes little add on parts like the sweeping brush, I have two CNW locos that need them

Dear John, Stock, Broom-curious...

Might I suggest any of the following?

Evergreen Hill Designs
http://shop.evergreenhilldesigns.com/EH603-Street-Broom-HO-scale-EH603.htm

Scale Structures

http://scale-structures.com/ss2313

http://scale-structures.com/ss2509

Model Tech Studios

https://modeltechstudios.com/hoscaledetailpushbrooms3packfinished.aspx

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr