Hyperloop - yes or no?

Is hyperloop a hyper proposal or just hype  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think hyperloop is a viable transport technology which will be adopted?

• Yes, it needs work but ultimately it will supplant high speed rail and some air routes
    • No, it's just a hyped up pipe dream
    • The technology has potential but it is unlikely to find more than a niche and is a long way from being viable in the real world

• RMweb Gold

1 atmosphere is approximately 101,300 Pascal, so 100 Pascal is 1,000th of an atmosphere. 

1 atmosphere will lift 30" mercury so 100 Pascal ( 1,000th of an atmosphere) will lift 30"/1,000 = 0.03"of mercury which is what @SHMD said.

Perhaps @SHMD meant 0.1% athmosphere rather that 0.1 atmosphere. 

Some of you are getting your mercury columns upside down. You apply the vacuum above the mercury so that atmospheric pressure causes the mercury to rise up the tube. Atmospheric pressure supports approx 30 inches when the vacuum is very good. As the hyperloop may not be that good a vacuum the mercury may only rise 28 or 29 inches.

For the mercury to rise only .03 inches the pressure above it would only be ver slightly below atmospheric, no significant vacuum at all.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies!

..but you all worked out what I meant.

Yes, 0.1% of an Atmosphere, 30" - 0.03", and 1mBar.

I really should have proof read that post, but don't tell anyone from my work, because I have been working in and around vacuum chambers for 25 years and should have known better!

3 weeks ago I serviced the Scroll Pumps and TMPs, on an Instrument, and after I Baked and De-Gassed it the main chamber pressure got down to 6.7e-9 Torr.

Which is close to a millionth millionth of an atmosphere (0.0000000000089326 bar) and not just the one thousandth of an atmosphere that the HyperLoop got down to. (Hence my interest.)

Kev.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...