Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Music and the Hobby

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk

Currently there is a choice between their Album channel or the Flashback channel (60s & 70s) on the internet. Caroline North returns most months via Manx Radio 1368 or the internet for usually the last weekend.

I tend to switch between the channels depending on the DJ - it's nice to hear music that most other stations seldom play and with few ads.

Radio Caroline has been granted an AM licence by Ofcom and will soon be back on 648kHz, covering Essex and Suffolk.

Edited by andrew575

Music can be Absolute Classic Rock (since we lost Planet Rock around here) or varied CDs/tapes on the ghetto blaster. A lot of the time though I like Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra, especially plays and comedy shows such as I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again or the Baldi murder mysteries.

steve

My main hobby is music - performing, writing, listening and helping to organise a festival - and modelling is my second hobby.  I have to say I very rarely have music playing when I am modelling; I tend to do one or the other. 

I play in 2 bands - 2 different genres of rock music.  In one there is another railway modeller.  Interestingly there are now several members of Hull MRS who are regulars at gigs I play with both bands.

On a different track, we do sing a lot when in a van on the way to exhibitions but that's probably another story.

• RMweb Premium

Music is hindering my modelling! Went to a bluegrass festival last year, my wife and I sat in a double bass workshop one afternoon for something to do. Wife said 'I wouldn't mind trying that', I thought the same but kept quiet as a double bass is far too big for our tiny bungallow. Afterwards emailed my friends 'lucky to get home without having to buy a double bass'. One replied 'I've got one, would you like to borrow it?' So now its lessons every two weeks and lots of practice n between.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Music is hindering my modelling! Went to a bluegrass festival last year, my wife and I sat in a double bass workshop one afternoon for something to do. Wife said 'I wouldn't mind trying that', I thought the same but kept quiet as a double bass is far too big for our tiny bungallow. Afterwards emailed my friends 'lucky to get home without having to buy a double bass'. One replied 'I've got one, would you like to borrow it?' So now its lessons every two weeks and lots of practice n between.

People used to build micro layouts in violin cases and the like. How about...

• Like 3

A number of weekly shows from Radio 2, via the Internet.

Sounds of the 60s (Tony Blackburn), Sounds of the 70s (Johnnie Walker), and Sounds of the 80s (Sara Cox).

Pick of the Pops (Paul Gambaccini) sometimes gets a look-in, depending on which years are being featured that week.

Otherwise a local rock radio station.

Or an album, or themed selection, from my music collection via the jukebox.

Most of the time it's 6Music, on an evening when I hear Gid's 'Midpoint of the programme' music I know it's about time to knock off...

Have you ever written in with an update of what's on your work bench? It's probably just the sort of thing he'd read out to the listeners.