Modifying the toy trainsets

I saw this train set in BM Bargains today and wondered how do you convert the wagons and coaches to be able to run on a model railway. Is it worth getting these just to run on metal track around your layout or should people steer clear of them as there cheap and no detail at all

I saw this train set in BM Bargains today and wondered how do you convert the wagons and coaches to be able to run on a model railway. Is it worth getting these just to run on metal track around your layout or should people steer clear of them as there cheap and no detail at all

Pictures? links?

Like a stolen toilet - nothing to go on...

The battery operated train sets you see in the shops that run on plastic track

Unfortunately there are various different plastic battery train sets. To be honest, most of them are useless for simple conversions - I picked up one with an American-style diesel that looked about H0 scale. Turns out it runs on 20mm gauge track, and the motorised wheels aren't even on a bogie, they're solidly mounted to the body. I personally wouldn't bother - they're cheap, have no detail, and often break easily. If you really want to go down the route, try to find something that advertises as being 00 or H0 gauge compatible. Even then, it may well not be. Even Hornby's new Junior range of battery powered trains will run on 00 gauge track, but won't go through pointwork.

If you are doing it to get extra stock for a 00 scale layout on the cheap then I wouldn't bother.  I have seen cheap toys turned into useful stock for GN15 and other unusal scales but it tends to involve buying proper model railway running gear.

That said I have a wild west style coach from a cheap Ho -ish toy set that is going to be a Wisbech and Upwell ish coach on my 00 scale light railway.  It will probably involve as much faff as scratchbuilding one but is at least square.