Track laying crane drawings and details

Beatty 139

A lovely atmospheric photo of what looks like Track Relaying Unit No.6 (the LMR had three of that design - 6, 7 and 8). These were built by Thomas Smith, who built two for the ER, three for the LMR and four for the SR, in TRU terms almost a standard design. Built from 1964-6 they later carried the identities of DRS78202-10 with this one becoming DRS78204. When new the LMR units at least carried a rather nice rich red (bodywork) and off-white (hoist arms) livery rather like the old crimson and cream coaching stock colours. Later they were all yellow.

Hywel

• 2 months later...

A Couple of photos have just resurfaced of the Leyton machine. The top one was on the mantlepiece in my grandparents house when I was growing up. Grandad is standing in the cab, and his colleague Ben (Don't know his surname) is sitting on the baulk.

post-8704-0-07569100-1507756273_thumb.jpg

The other one was found by one of my Dad's cousins, who couldn't remember why he had been given it 50 odd years ago. It's pretty knackered, but I think iit has Grandad leaning out of the window of the far cab.

post-8704-0-75960900-1507756396_thumb.jpg

There are a few nice modelling details here, and I have to confess that I bought an Oxford Warwell at The Great Electric Train Show last weekend specifically to goad me into getting on with my conversion.

• 2 weeks later...