Lima class 26 detailing

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Can anyone suggest a detailing kit for a Lima class 26? I can't find anything currently in production, but maybe something for another kit would be suitable? I'm thinking of 70's-80's BR blue era.

cheers N

You could try to get hold of some Heljan parts for the class 26, or try Shawplan and A1 for etched brass details. You could also try to track down a Craftsman detailing pack on Ebay or second hand at an exhibition. If you feel really brave you could make your own details using photos as a reference.

Hiya

post-8443-0-08058100-1501700503_thumb.jpg

post-8443-0-08058100-1501700503_thumb.jpg

I used Heljan spare parts, and I had a few bits left over from craftsman detailing kits ages ago. I've reworked the bottom springs, by moving them back as per prototype pics. New pick up added, and added Bachmann couplings,

There's still some bits and pieces to add.

Regards Jeff

Edited by phixer64
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Can anyone suggest a detailing kit for a Lima class 26? I can't find anything currently in production, but maybe something for another kit would be suitable? I'm thinking of 70's-80's BR blue era.

cheers N

Hi there,

The A1 etch roof fan and gril plus the side grill are available again via ebay

or

The Extreme Etchings roof fan and grill are available from Shawplan as is lazer glaze for the windows.

Heljan buffer detail packs were/are available form Howes to suit

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, thank you all. That should keep me out of mischief!

It's not a bad model in it's own right actually. I think a lot of Lima models were underrated, and with a bit of detailing, can still hold their own.

Mine's in the loft at my dad's at the moment, so I'll have to dig it out first, but it's going to get the treatment!

cheers N

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Reviving an old thread, am I right in thinking the Lima class 26 only represents a 26/0, even though they numbered it 26027? There are 15 roof level grilles, where the 26/1's seem to have 12.

Given that some 26's had cab door windows and some not, which 26/0's in particular are best represented by the Lima model (it has no windows in the cab doors)?

I'm looking to keep it in blue, but rather fancy an unusual transition livery, preferably one worn by 003 or 007.

cheers N

• RMweb Gold

Having trawled flickr, I think I'm going to go for 26003. This is mainly because it was one of the first two 26's I had, on a tour, the "Grampian Highlander", from Edinburgh-Inverness, with 26007.

I'm choosing 003 because it's a fairly distinctive machine, with two Haymarket depot stickers, one on the body side, one on the cabside. The cabside one is a large one, with the castle coloured red-I know transfers are available for the small b/w stickers, but does anyone know if the larger ones are available too?

From what I can see, the main areas needed to turn Lima's erroneously numbered 26027 into 003 are:-

re-shape the buffer beams

fit oval buffers

fit flushglaze, including sliding cab windows

fit windscreen wipers

fit wire handrails & lamp irons

fit slow speed control box to inner axlebox on non-grille end, opposite side to exhaust

move inner spring clusters on bogies inwards

add square bogie locating frames on bodyside, mid-way above bogies

add various pipework detail on bogies

fit mw jumpers

fit air/vac pipes

fit screw link couplings

fit Shawplan roof fan/grille & side grilles

if I feel bold enough, suitably butcher the underframe tanks, unless a kit is available?

respray, renumber & fit HA depot stickers

Can anyone add to that list? I know Shawplan & A1 models are two possible sources for the roof fan & side grilles, and wipers. Does anyone do the SSC box, or will that have to be scratchbuilt?

Finally, here's a pic of the beast, pared with 007, on the day I had them on the tour:-

https://flic.kr/p/qZyPB4

And here's a close up a couple of months earlier:-

https://flic.kr/p/bNDz54

cheers N

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Having trawled flickr, I think I'm going to go for 26003. This is mainly because it was one of the first two 26's I had, on a tour, the "Grampian Highlander", from Edinburgh-Inverness, with 26007.

I'm choosing 003 because it's a fairly distinctive machine, with two Haymarket depot stickers, one on the body side, one on the cabside. The cabside one is a large one, with the castle coloured red-I know transfers are available for the small b/w stickers, but does anyone know if the larger ones are available too?

From what I can see, the main areas needed to turn Lima's erroneously numbered 26027 into 003 are:-

re-shape the buffer beams

fit oval buffers

fit flushglaze, including sliding cab windows

fit windscreen wipers

fit wire handrails & lamp irons

fit slow speed control box to inner axlebox on non-grille end, opposite side to exhaust

move inner spring clusters on bogies inwards

add square bogie locating frames on bodyside, mid-way above bogies

add various pipework detail on bogies

fit mw jumpers

fit air/vac pipes

fit screw link couplings

fit Shawplan roof fan/grille & side grilles

if I feel bold enough, suitably butcher the underframe tanks, unless a kit is available?

respray, renumber & fit HA depot stickers

Can anyone add to that list? I know Shawplan & A1 models are two possible sources for the roof fan & side grilles, and wipers. Does anyone do the SSC box, or will that have to be scratchbuilt?

Finally, here's a pic of the beast, pared with 007, on the day I had them on the tour:-

https://flic.kr/p/qZyPB4

And here's a close up a couple of months earlier:-

https://flic.kr/p/bNDz54

cheers N

Hi N,

Your list more or less covers exactly what I used to do with the Lima Cl26...

Yes - SSC box will need to be scratch built.

I will be watching with interest to see how you progress!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi N,

Your list more or less covers exactly what I used to do with the Lima Cl26...

Yes - SSC box will need to be scratch built.

I will be watching with interest to see how you progress!

Thanks

Thanks. Don't hold your breath, progress will not be rapid, but I'm going to make a start by ordering the grilles & fan.

cheers N