Hornby R2208 Patriot

Hello, I recently acquired a Hornby R2208 Patriot "Caernarvon" (BTW, it is now 45517). There was no paperwork when I received it, so I am querying just where are the lubricating points please? I took it apart and repaired one of the copper pick-ups on the loco/tender coupling. It now runs well, except when first starting in reverse, just for a few seconds it is slow and makes a slight grating noise which appears to emanate from the drive cogs in the tender, once that is over, it runs nicely. Should I apply a drop of oil here and there? Also, when I put it alongside my early Bachmann Jubilee, the Jubilee appears to be smaller than the Patriot, therefore is the Patriot oversize? The period I model is the mid-fifties and completely missed those electrification flashes on the loco, slightly mortified when I opened the box and was staring at a mid sixties loco!!   I remember in an earlier post I referred to missing The B******" Obvious, well, I did it again...................just one of the joys of getting older, oh well, c'est la vie. Any help re the lube points would be most welcome. Thank you. 

Re the size issues.

Hornby used to make their locos 1mm higher than scale in Tender- drive days, the buffers and everything above buffer height is raised 1mm to give clearance for couplings and for oversize flanges in the splashers and from memory the unrebult Patriot is one of these. 

The parallel boiler has a larger smokebox than the taper boiler Jubilee which shared its smaller smokebox with Black 5. 8F and the GWR Castle and County all of which had 5ft dia front tubeplates.    The electrification flashes are unfortunate as I don't think many unrebuilt Patriots lasted long enough to receive them.   Jubilee and Patriot were essentially the same size, early Jubilees were ordered as Patriots and had Patriot bogies.

Patriots had steaming issues when crewed by crews unfamiliar with them which restricted their sphere of activity.  I understand at one stage  Holbeck  requested / told Barrow Road not to send Patriots north of New Street as their crews could not cope with the Claughton derived shallow grates.

The tender coupling is an Aclises' Eel (Cotswold vernacular) and will give trouble, hard wiring improves it but the Tender drive is a bit naff and I have often thought of sticking an X04 in the loco instead and towing a Bachmann fowler tender.

Many years ago I wanted an un-rebuilt Patriot to complete my ex LMS main line loco stock.  The Hornby tender drive one looked hideous with a cross between a Fowler & Deeley tender body with wrong wheel spacing.

I purchased a Hornby loco body, Bachmann Jubilee chassis & Bachmann Fowler tender, intending to detail the body/tender with wire handrails, etc & repaint it in BR green.  After filing/grinding the chassis to fit the Hornby body, Bachmann announced that they were going to make an un-rebuilt Patriot!

Talk about sod's law; the bits were hastily consigned to the 'spares' drawer & the long wait for the Bachmann 'Royal Leicestershire Regiment' model to appear was certainly worthwhile.  Especially as I originally come from Leicestershire!

Peter

• Like 1

Re the size issues.

Hornby used to make their locos 1mm higher than scale in Tender- drive days, the buffers and everything above buffer height is raised 1mm to give clearance for couplings and for oversize flanges in the splashers and from memory the unrebult Patriot is one of these. 

The parallel boiler has a larger smokebox than the taper boiler Jubilee which shared its smaller smokebox with Black 5. 8F and the GWR Castle and County all of which had 5ft dia front tubeplates.    The electrification flashes are unfortunate as I don't think many unrebuilt Patriots lasted long enough to receive them.   Jubilee and Patriot were essentially the same size, early Jubilees were ordered as Patriots and had Patriot bogies.

Patriots had steaming issues when crewed by crews unfamiliar with them which restricted their sphere of activity.  I understand at one stage  Holbeck  requested / told Barrow Road not to send Patriots north of New Street as their crews could not cope with the Claughton derived shallow grates.

The tender coupling is an Aclises' Eel (Cotswold vernacular) and will give trouble, hard wiring improves it but the Tender drive is a bit naff and I have often thought of sticking an X04 in the loco instead and towing a Bachmann fowler tender.

Thank you so much for the info, as for the electrification flashes, I managed to get rid of them. :)  When firing at Saltley, I recall my driver at the time, John Balmond, tell me a story re 5519, it had been reported for being "too smokey", so they had a footplate inspector accompany them from New Street to Gloucester and no matter how John fired the engine, there was always plenty of smoke! Thanks also for the tender/loco coupling info, I'll wait 'till it plays up again, then, maybe, hard wire it, but my soldering skills are pretty abysmal!