RMweb

NCE Powercab

Hi there,

I'm having a few problems with my NCE Powercab.  As I move around with the controller, there seems to be intermittent breaks in the supply. ie. the Powercab display goes completely blank until I "jiggle" it about a bit. Obviously during such breaks, everything stops! 

I suspect it is a fault where the cable goes into the connector at the base of the Powercab. (It's not particularly well strengthened)

Is this a common problem?

Is it worth my replacing the cable ?

Any ideas guys?

• RMweb Premium

The symptoms could equally demonstrate an intermittent short circuit somewhere.

Can I suggest that you stop all locos and then try wandering around whilst watching the display. With nothing moving at the time the power drops it is probably safe to assume there isn't a short and that either the lead is faulty or the connection either in the base of the PowerCab or the PCP is at fault.

Are you able to try your lead somewhere else or borrow a lead to see if it is the sockets at fault?

• RMweb Gold

I've had this issue once and found it was the cable that was the problem. If it's the flat cable that came with PowerCab, it's probably the wires in the plug that are flexing. Invest in one of the coiled cables you can get, but ensure you order a 6 wire one, as a 4 wire one won't carry any power.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

This is a common fault with the Powercab, as described by Geep7.  

I had to replace the cable after a couple of years. Bought a cheap cable on e-bay and it has been fine, so far lasting longer than the original one provided by NCE.

Yes, I had the same problem  The flat cable they supply is prone to kinking and will eventually fail usually next to the plug which connects to the supply socket.  Mine lasted less than a year so I replaced it with a coiled one from eBay.

DCC Concepts also sell a replacement https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/2m6ft-curly-cord-rj12-with-6-wire-connections/

• RMweb Premium

£4.99 for a curly 6 pin cable eBay item number 282559817458

Make sure it is wired as a through rather than crossover cable i.e. you want pin 1 at one end wired to pin 1 at the other (and not to pin 6 at the other).

Make sure it is wired as a through rather than crossover cable i.e. you want pin 1 at one end wired to pin 1 at the other (and not to pin 6 at the other).

I have done 5 exhibitions with those cables with no problems. And they look IDENTICAL to the DCC concepts cable.