Transfers for freelance stock

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the only way is to do it by hand, as the signwriters did. Here are some I made earlier:

attachicon.gifGloucester wagon selection 1.JPG

... over 20 years earlier, well before the onset of middle-aged presbyopia! (And before discovering POWSides.) Here's some I ought to get round to finishing, showing how I did it; in fact inside out! White base coat, then a Rotring pen with black ink:

attachicon.gifGloucester wagon sides 1.JPG

Red was also done using Rotrink ink but grey was paint and fine brush. That's why there's only one grey wagon in this line-up!

Although the quality isn't as good, these are some I did 50+/- years ago. Sorry the desktop photos are a bit substandard, but maybe that shows up the faults less!

post-14351-0-22727900-1501713031_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info about your methods. Obviously you are using CorelDRAW in your work. I use Photoshop Elements as an amateur photographer and don't wish to buy other software for such  limited purpose. It is helpful to show both approaches, as other people will also have different software available to them.

Of course - I would merely point out that early versions of CorelDRAW can be obtained for peanuts.

I use Version 7; the latest is Version 18 !!

Vectors really are much better for transfer design work - you get far better definition, etc.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Of course - I would merely point out that early versions of CorelDRAW can be obtained for peanuts.

I use Version 7; the latest is Version 18 !!

Vectors really are much better for transfer design work - you get far better definition, etc.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi

Out of interest what version of Windows are you using?

I have CorelDraw 8 but I can't get it to run on anything after XP (I still have a laptop with XP on).

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Out of interest what version of Windows are you using?

I have CorelDraw 8 but I can't get it to run on anything after XP (I still have a laptop with XP on).

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

As per my previous posting - Version 7.

I run it under both Windows 7 and on an old Window 2000 machine, which is needed to run my Alps printer drivers.

I design under Windows 7; transfer the files to the Windows 2000 machine; and print the transfers from that one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I had an absolute nightmare creating my Cambrian transfers, as the lettering styles changed slightly depending who painted the wagon! I ended up making something like 5 slightly different fonts, just to write CAM RYS and CAM BR IAN across different wagons! The usual problem in this case was the distinctive style of the R, which no font managed to reproduce (And trust me, I have spent a vast number of hours in pursuit of the perfect font!) 

Have you tried Century typeface? The R has the curling right 'leg'. I grant you it is only approximate and overall the other letters are not a particularly good match, but I thought it might be worth a mention. By the way I have pushed the height down slightly.

post-14351-0-04623300-1502283887_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...