Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

08 shunters in the West Country

sej

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of any photos showing 08 shunters in the Tiverton/Taunton/West Country area in the mid(ish) 70's?

Cheers

Simon

There were 08's at Exeter and I seem to remember a pair of Bristol Bath Road (BR) at Taunton in the mid 70's, working the sleeper works.

Julian Sprott

Bingo! I've read that an 08 was one of the last locos to travel on the Culm Valley line to clear some empty milk tankers. I assume that it could have been a local one and in the absence of any other information I'll pick and choose from one of those excellent photos!

Thanks very much indeed!

Cheers

Simon

The 1975 local trip booklets for the Bristol Division showed that there were 4 local trip diagrams at Exeter worked by Newton Abbot allocated class 08s.

There were 3 local trip diagrams at Taunton worked by Bristol Bath Road allocated class 08s, and I think throughout the 1970s and 1980s the Taunton pilots were supplied from Bristol Bath Road,

edit - the same Exeter trip booklet shows that Exeter men worked the Hemyock branch in 1975, trip 1 7B70 with a Laira class 25

so would the class 08 on the last working have been a Newton Abbot one with Exeter men? 

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Kevin, intriguing! You don't happen to know which 08's were at Newton Abbot at that time?

Cheers

Simon

08 091, 410, 479, 584, 641, 646, 649, 821, 849, 955

the following were allocated until 03/1975 

08 259, 930, 937

When choosing which model is appropriate you may like to take a look at this article:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6622-class-08-09-variations/

Edited by Pannier Tank