Removing smokebox number and shed plates

I have acquired a second hand Bachmann Collett Goods and Mainline Dean Goods.  They are both BR period with smokebox numberplates which appear to be molded onto the smokebox door.  Has anyone got any advice on the best way to remove these, so I can convert the models to late GWR state? Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, they're making models of chisels now.  Wouldn't a small real one work better...

I may well get one of those myself, looks a very handy thing to have around.  You will need to be able to file or sand the smokebox surface down to the dome shape where the scar is left, or dig the number plate out leaving a hole you can fill to make good; a coat of paint will conceal the few scratches and irregularities left.

• Like 2

You will need to be able to file or sand the smokebox surface down to the dome shape where the scar is left, or dig the number plate out leaving a hole you can fill to make good; a coat of paint will conceal the few scratches and irregularities left.

I am hoping that I can pass off any irregularities left in the door as the result of 6 years of wartime neglect and general backlog of maintenance!

• Like 1

The other issue you may encounter is that removing the smokebox number collateral damage to the door hinge straps may be unavoidable - some remedial work with styrene strips can rectify this. 

Fortunately I still have some of 5 thou plasticard around.

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, they're making models of chisels now.  Wouldn't a small real one work better...

I may well get one of those myself, looks a very handy thing to have around.  You will need to be able to file or sand the smokebox surface down to the dome shape where the scar is left, or dig the number plate out leaving a hole you can fill to make good; a coat of paint will conceal the few scratches and irregularities left.

I am hoping that I can pass off any irregularities left in the door as the result of 6 years of wartime neglect and general backlog of maintenance!

The other issue you may encounter is that removing the smokebox number collateral damage to the door hinge straps may be unavoidable - some remedial work with styrene strips can rectify this. 

Fortunately I still have some of 5 thou plasticard around.

The advantage of this chisel is the ability to be able to pare off microscopic bits of plastic at a time, done carefully, other than a wipe of 1000 grit sandpaper, there should be no collateral damage.

Mike.