z21 programming accessory decoder

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone. I am looking for assistance with programming a Gaugemaster DCC 30 accessory decoder using the Roco z21 app on an android tablet. The Gaugemaster instructions give the main address of the decoder as CV 513. However, when i go to Programming and try to read the address i get a failed message. I am sure i am not doing something right. Just what i dont know. I have tried going up and down 4 as i jave heard the Roco systems are off by 4 but still no good. Simple step by step to programme an accessory decoder would be perfect. Cheers. Ian

• RMweb Gold

The z21 team (Gaugemaster) were very helpful. It seems the DCC30 wont send a signal back to the control centre as it doesnt have that function. They advised i just programme using cv513 and try it out. Plus i need to go into maintemamce and change the settings so the +/- 4 issue doesnt arise. Will let you know tomorrow how i get on. Ian

• RMweb Gold

Latest update: Was not happy with the DCC30's and how they operated and programmed. Even following advice from Gaugemaster, updating the z21 settings via maintenance programme and re-programming still resulted in mis-fires, jamming up and smoking solenoids. So, even though I purchased the 4 used decoders at a very good price (£20 for 3 + £20 for 1 - total - £40), I have decided to change direction.

I will now be selling the DCC30's, plus my auto-frogs (12) on Ebay as I have decided to go down the DCC Concepts DCD-ADS8FX route:

Functionality Reasoning:

The DCC Concepts solenoid decoders can operate 8 point motors, LED's for point direction and polarity switching all from the same single decoder and are supposedly easier to programme as they have a "learning" switch. Less space required, easier to wire and should be simple!!

Cost Reasoning:

Cost to control all 32 existing solenoid points, switch polarity and power LEDS using the Guagemaster DCC30's and DCC80's = £370 (£40 for 4 used DCC30's + £36 for 12 DCC80's + £240 for 4 additional DCC30's, + £60 for 20 additional DCC80's.

Cost to do same with DCC Concepts DCD-ADS8FX = £180 (1 brand new/3 slightly used off Ebay for £120)

How daft do I feel not just going for these in the first place. Even if I purchased 4 brand new ones, I would have saved around £130 (almost enough to buy a new loco!!!)

Hind Sight is a wonderful thing!!!

Have a great weekend!!!!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

This forum is a massive pool of experts, helpful folks and extremely useful information which is saving me time and money.

For instance, upon further research, it now appears that the DCD-ADS-8FX does not remember frog polarity or the point direction for the LED's and would require complete re-setting at each operating session or after a short. I am awaiting further guidance from the experts on here about which way to go, but I am leaning towards a combination of:

1. ADS-8FX to operate the points via z21 (Android Tablet), Multimaus and/or toggle switches (for back-up) using the DCC Track Power Bus.

2. Frog Polarity will be via the DCC80 Auto-Frog or current Peco PL-13 & PL-15 switches (most points fitted already with them except the 12 in the fiddle yard)

3. LED's can be powered via direct wiring to the point (see Mr Brian Lambert's website for info) or via the Auto-Frog where fitted (looks the same principle). I am also looking to see if my DC powered point indicator circuit boards can be used for the LEDS as well.