The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, admiles said:

Wonder what the European Seaways is doing there?  Laid up or being worked on??

She's laid up alongside Pride of Burgundy. There is some suggestion that they will both be sold / scrapped. 

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

According to AIS she's been there since around the end of September so presumably laid-up.  There were at one stage a  number of cross-channel ferres laid up in various places including a couple at Leith.

Indeed strange times ahead... The Blue Star 1 arrived in milford haven yesterday. She's replacing the reliable Isle of Inishmore on the Pembroke - Rosslare run, but strangely the Inishmore is off to start a new Dover-Calais service for Irish Ferries. The post brexit surge of European Ferry moves has been quite incredible. 

The OOW on my tug had a spell on that mega yacht when he first qualified. An amazing bit of kit... From a different realm for most of us. He enjoyed his time aboard her sailing the Mediterranean. 

Has anybody seen the Eemslift hendrik? - in the news yesterday and today after a cargo shift, unfortunately it has lost one of the brand new vessels it was transporting to Norway. 

https://www.swzmaritime.nl/news/2021/04/06/smit-salvage-team-en-route-to-listing-eemslift-hendrika/?gdpr=accept

John 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, 380John said:

Indeed strange times ahead... The Blue Star 1 arrived in milford haven yesterday. She's replacing the reliable Isle of Inishmore on the Pembroke - Rosslare run, but strangely the Inishmore is off to start a new Dover-Calais service for Irish Ferries. The post brexit surge of European Ferry moves has been quite incredible. 

The OOW on my tug had a spell on that mega yacht when he first qualified. An amazing bit of kit... From a different realm for most of us. He enjoyed his time aboard her sailing the Mediterranean. 

Has anybody seen the Eemslift hendrik? - in the news yesterday and today after a cargo shift, unfortunately it has lost one of the brand new vessels it was transporting to Norway. 

https://www.swzmaritime.nl/news/2021/04/06/smit-salvage-team-en-route-to-listing-eemslift-hendrika/?gdpr=accept

John 

Hardly surprising - the weather in the North Sea is horrendous at present. I'm stuck in Antwerp because pilotage is suspended for smaller ships that the SWATH pilot cutters can't be used with. 28 hours stopped now, and possibly another 15 hours to go before any movement is possible.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2021 at 17:04, 380John said:

Successfully salvaged and returned to harbour. Apparently the boat that fell off has also been saved. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kris said:

Successfully salvaged and returned to harbour. Apparently the boat that fell off has also been saved. 

Great news. Must have been quite an experience. I see one of her cranes lost its jib. Just shows the forces at play. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Sorry for the pic quality, I spied this bright orange ship off of Cliftonville today - I'm curious to know what it might be? 

I'll try and pop back tomorrow with binoculars and hope it's still there...

IMG_20210415_112514563.jpg.6f168fbf2e30fa181e811482cb32178d.jpg

Looks like one of the stealth gas LPG tankers. I'll have a look and see if I can find out.... 

John 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 380John said:

Looks like one of the stealth gas LPG tankers. I'll have a look and see if I can find out.... 

John 

Vessel is the Eco Universe of the company Stealth Gas. Looks like off up to London from Antwerp. I doubt you'll see her tomorrow as she appears to be underway. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Informative/Useful 3

20 minutes ago, 380John said:

Vessel is the Eco Universe of the company Stealth Gas. Looks like off up to London from Antwerp. I doubt you'll see her tomorrow as she appears to be underway. 

Cheers, 

John 

Cheers, thank you - a very eye-catching vessel! 

• Agree 1

They really are! Another common LPG tanker seen around the UK coast is JS Alular and her sisters. About the same size as the stealth gas vessels, but all green! Certainly different and worth looking out for! 

Glad I could help. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Blurry phone pics again, but looking thru my binocs I can make out "Bartok"

IMG_20210417_092615178.jpg.b6eb9d73fb3b39a32eb696ceec4d673a.jpg

A heavily loaded container vessel alongside some sort of excavator (?)  Typically, the day I bring my binoculars none of the ships are very close to shore here at Foreness Bay.

IMG_20210417_092607074.jpg.78aa5035825d966f25ae53670e4162a1.jpg

3 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Blurry phone pics again, but looking thru my binocs I can make out "Bartok"

IMG_20210417_092615178.jpg.b6eb9d73fb3b39a32eb696ceec4d673a.jpg

A heavily loaded container vessel alongside some sort of excavator (?)  Typically, the day I bring my binoculars none of the ships are very close to shore here at Foreness Bay.

IMG_20210417_092607074.jpg.78aa5035825d966f25ae53670e4162a1.jpg

Tanker Bartock is bound for London and the container vessel is the Ranger bound for Tilbury. As the Fat controller says, as long as a vessel has her AIS (Automatic Identification System) turned on, they will show up on one of the tracking websites. Marine Traffic is another good one, and very popular. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

All this talk of tracking websites - I like VesselFinder's app. It often shows more ship identities than Marine Traffic, and as a bonus is free :)

It also often does the same if comparing the standard websites. It's almost as though Marine Traffic is trying to get you to go to their premium (paid for) service...

Mark

• Agree 1

Noticeable change in MarineTraffic's utility over the past couple of years. Friends and family used to be able to keep track of us reasonably well, a real help when operating at the far side of the world when cost and timezones had a real impact on comms. Many features are now behind a pay wall. Fair enough I suppose, but a bit of a shame.

Just slipped the UK for the Eastern Med, see y'all in a couple of weeks! 

• Like 1

Buying the AIS data is not cheap, especially when you likely need to buy it from multiple providers to get a good amount of data (quite a lot of the data will be duplicated)

Did have some fun when analysing some data for a former employer. You could see a pattern by time of the satellites collecting data.

All the best

Katy

7 hours ago, MarkC said:

All this talk of tracking websites - I like VesselFinder's app. It often shows more ship identities than Marine Traffic, and as a bonus is free :)

It also often does the same if comparing the standard websites. It's almost as though Marine Traffic is trying to get you to go to their premium (paid for) service...

Mark

Like I said, it's one of the websites providing a service and is popular. Others are out there but depending on where you go or prefer app based methods, payment maybe required. Unfortunately, some of these tracking apps/websites use adverts and other techniques to force you into parting with your cash to allow you full access. Some even take your cash and still limit you. Flight radar 24 is one such example. 

John

On 03/04/2021 at 10:40, Kris said:

A couple of photos from today's jaunt down to Trelissick (near Falmouth). It was a glorious day for a walk. IMG_6846.jpeg.cd86436f08d07cb2cceb2e659d375f5a.jpeg

On 04/04/2021 at 14:04, Stubby47 said:

Quite like that photo.

428981611_20210404_1445042.jpg.f7cef361e49a37b46fe256ab7183598b.jpg

Just as nice today.

And looking the other way (some years ago):

IMG_0740.JPG.66d4b5718188e7b7be85578699e41b80.JPG

• Like 7

19 hours ago, 62613 said:

Remember seeing her off Mauritius on my last trip,in 1979. Only carrying helicopters, then

Abandoned tourist attractions, museums etc happen so I wonder if the last known Ekranoplan  also known as The Caspian Sea Monster stuck in shallow water off the coast of the Caspian Sea towed there to be part of some sort of collection will ever be restored.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2