The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

On 26/01/2021 at 09:18, SHMD said:

More on the travesty of the seafarers plight...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55802514

Mark, did you get home ok?

Kev.

Hi Kev. Yes I did, thanks very much.

Just finishing the job list, then I can crack on with modelling :D

This news just in - one of my Company's ships, the "Coral Sticho". My thoughts are with my colleague & his family, also his shipmates. A big shout out to the emergency services too.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19052803.lifeboat-crew-rush-help-man-suffering-suspected-stroke/?ref=BNTMedia&utm_medium=facebook

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2021 at 11:45, MarkC said:

Hi Kev. Yes I did, thanks very much.

Just finishing the job list, then I can crack on with modelling :D

This news just in - one of my Company's ships, the "Coral Sticho". My thoughts are with my colleague & his family, also his shipmates. A big shout out to the emergency services too.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19052803.lifeboat-crew-rush-help-man-suffering-suspected-stroke/?ref=BNTMedia&utm_medium=facebook

Mark

Not a nice incident and I hope the casualty pulls through ok.  And despite what people might say about the way this country is or isn't reacting to the pandemic we can hold our heads up when unlike some other countries we are still prepared to offer aid to those taken ill at sea and make an effort to try to save their lives.   This sort of story needs to be made much more widely known. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not a nice incident and I hope the casualty pulls through ok.  And despite what people might say about the way this country is or isn't reacting to the pandemic we can hold our heads up when unlike some other countries we are still prepared to offer aid to those taken ill at sea and make an effort to try to save their lives.   This sort of story needs to be made much more widely known. 

As long as everybody remembers the RNLI crews are (mostly) voluntary.

And they are the ones who go out when everybody else is trying to get in.

Somewhere to help perhaps?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2021 at 14:13, drmditch said:

As long as everybody remembers the RNLI crews are (mostly) voluntary.

And they are the ones who go out when everybody else is trying to get in.

Somewhere to help perhaps?

Quite agree but a very important point is that as a country we do not refuse help in these circumstances.  One seafarer taken ill at sea last year died because the nearest country (Eastern Mediterranean) to his ship refused point blank to allow him to be landed by any means on their territory for hospital treatment.  By the time the ship got somewhere where he could be taken off and moved to a hospital he was dead.

Similarly plenty of countries are refusing to allow seafarers to be landed for crew relief purposes so they remain stuck aboard their ships.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Quite agree but a very important point is that as a country we do not refuse help in these circumstances.  One seafarer taken ill at sea last year died because the nearest country (Eastern Mediterranean) to his ship refused point blank to allow him to be landed by any means on their territory for hospital treatment.  By the time the ship got somewhere where he could be taken off and moved to a hospital he was dead.

Similarly plenty of countries are refusing to allow seafarers to be landed for crew relief purposes so they remain stuck aboard their ships.

Sadly this hasn't always been the case. I know of two cases where the UK have refused to allow the landing of sick crewmen for treatment due to immigration documentation issues. Both died onboard ship at the quayside. Admittedly one was 20 years ago now but the other was 3 years ago so I doubt much has changed. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/02/2021 at 06:45, johnofwessex said:

A terrible state to be in, but slightly comforting to see that the Mission to Seafarers is still hard at work.  I appreciated their services during my time away.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

SV Tenacious passing Cowes earlier this afternoon.

My lad is on board as part of his Phase 2 Navy training.

Brilliant! I didn't know the RN still used sail training.

Very sensible I would think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Brilliant! I didn't know the RN still used sail training.

Very sensible I would think.

Especially if one gets posted to a nuclear submarine!! :biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::yahoo_mini::biggrin_mini:

• Funny 4

Hi guys, 

Just found this thread. I'm a tug skipper and ex deep sea with bibby line and the last bank line vessels, if anyone is interested... we spent 24 hours trying to rescue the LPG tanker "Seagas Major" last week in the Irish Sea in a storm 10! 

All fun and games! 

John 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, 380John said:

Hi guys, 

Just found this thread. I'm a tug skipper and ex deep sea with bibby line and the last bank line vessels, if anyone is interested... we spent 24 hours trying to rescue the LPG tanker "Seagas Major" last week in the Irish Sea in a storm 10! 

All fun and games! 

John 

John,

Welcome from another Bank line veteran/refugee! 

After I left tankers (when insanity beckoned) I fell into a job with Weirs and spent a number of years with them in the various companies they managed etc including the last classes of Bank boat, e.g. Cora class and the ex Russian ships. It was all a bit of an education at the time and for the most part a good laugh too.

I'm driving buses these days, or at least that's what it feels like sometimes (passenger ferries)!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

31 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

John,

Welcome from another Bank line veteran/refugee! 

After I left tankers (when insanity beckoned) I fell into a job with Weirs and spent a number of years with them in the various companies they managed etc including the last classes of Bank boat, e.g. Cora class and the ex Russian ships. It was all a bit of an education at the time and for the most part a good laugh too.

I'm driving buses these days, or at least that's what it feels like sometimes (passenger ferries)!

Thank you for the welcome! Me too... Mahinabank and Boularibank then beachy head and Longstone (as a cadet) . Been Master now with my present company 8 years. I love the boat handling and niche operation here. I'd still love a "westabout round the world" though! 

John 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating stuff watching a tow being attached although when we saw it being done during one of our 2019 trips it was all done on a lovely sunny day with a smooth sea and involving two ships (transferring an alongside tow from one to what you below astern of the other).  So completely different from your line of work no doubt but interesting to someone who had never seen it before.  Replacement Sandettie light vessel under tow from Harwich to replace the existing lv on station.

1951096320_P1010211copy.jpg.528d90ec8ae9486e12835f41d000d901.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Fascinating stuff watching a tow being attached although when we saw it being done during one of our 2019 trips it was all done on a lovely sunny day with a smooth sea and involving two ships (transferring an alongside tow from one to what you below astern of the other).  So completely different from your line of work no doubt but interesting to someone who had never seen it before.  Replacement Sandettie light vessel under tow from Harwich to replace the existing lv on station.

1951096320_P1010211copy.jpg.528d90ec8ae9486e12835f41d000d901.jpg

Unfortunately its starting to become a dying art. Modern tugs are often built for specific contracts. Ultimately the contract specification is met and not much else due to the expense of additional equipment. 

It's fortunate you could witness such a job as many tugs are now designed to tow solely over the bow! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2021 at 22:23, 380John said:

Hi guys, 

All fun and games! 

John 

Hi John - I'm ex-Bibby Line too, 76-83, before your time probably!

• Friendly/supportive 3

A 1960s GPO film about marine communications.

When I went to sea in 1972 this was how all comms were done, by the time I retired in 2016 I could direct dial a call from my cabin or the Engine Control Room to a shore number and send or receive emails all via satellite.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hi John - I'm ex-Bibby Line too, 76-83, before your time probably!

The good ol' days I bet! Unfortunately I missed those, as you say a bit before my time. I've often thought that many of us modellers are obviously interested by many forms of transport. Personally railways, shipping and civil aviation for me, but ive always noticed a good correlation between sailors and railway modellers? Is this just me or anybody else, landlubber or otherwise noticed such? 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 380John said:

The good ol' days I bet! Unfortunately I missed those, as you say a bit before my time. I've often thought that many of us modellers are obviously interested by many forms of transport. Personally railways, shipping and civil aviation for me, but ive always noticed a good correlation between sailors and railway modellers? Is this just me or anybody else, landlubber or otherwise noticed such? 

Cheers, 

John 

I never met another modeller at sea, but a few artists. #ahem# of both types....  ;-)  I was an engineer, there were a lot of car and bike enthusiasts down below, but never another modeller.  One old man was interested in what I was doing (K's loco kit) he was one of the (art) artists, nice bloke, on LPG tankers (Staffordshire) so he was more technical-mechanicky than many deck officers I met on other types of ship.  Happy days....

scan0001.jpg.ff16905339a9ba2069dc5b931ddaa835.jpg

• Like 7