The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

In the bottom photo, what is that ship in the far left backround? It has an unusual bows-on profile; at least to me, anyway. TIA

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a big Boskalis semi-sub heavy load carrier. The type that submerges the after deck and then lifts the load by de-ballasting. Strange ships but impressive, when I was at sea in the offshore sector on anchor handlers we did a couple of jobs with such ships carrying drilling rigs rather than long tows. Singapore seems a very popular position for them to bunker and await orders as there always seems to be one in the anchorage. Sometimes several.

Heavy57.jpg

Heavy56.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Not to be confused with lift on/off (or roll on/off) heavy load carriers which look similar but are very different. 

Heavy39.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

That (the WHITE MARLIN) has got to look even more strange when ballasted down. Or, what to do with all of the left-over parts from your built-up ship model kits!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That (the WHITE MARLIN) has got to look even more strange when ballasted down. Or, what to do with all of the left-over parts from your built-up ship model kits!

Never seen a ship with sideburns before - Early to Mid Victorian engineer look in Naval Architecture?....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, WessexEclectic said:

Never seen a ship with sideburns before - Early to Mid Victorian engineer look in Naval Architecture?....

Are they like water-wings for non-swimmers, to give lift and stability while semi-submerged?

• Like 1

When I get home in a week or so I’ll post a proper update from ‘Dordt in Stoom’ but for now I’ll just say it’s amazing! There must be about 20 steam tugs here and more arriving every hour. There’s a steam bucket dredger and what really blew my mind was when a floating steam grain elevator turned up, in steam. 
The weather is dreadful so I’m presently watching from the shelter of a riverside bar. 

70915848-390B-44C6-BDC5-34375FCC7385.jpeg

CC45C0BD-CF5F-4D79-B3E1-D5A854E4A4C3.jpeg

F347575D-C3D9-4254-B4DE-E559365E1E1F.jpeg

• Like 9

I’ve just been on board this beautifully restored and fully-functional beast. Niche interest, to be sure, but fascinating to see. Apparently it is the last survivor and only recently restored. 
100 years ago there were several identical machines in Manchester. 
B55F278F-D3B5-4465-AE5F-5333D7EB515A.jpeg.e7aedf33cc275c121c1aa814027aa143.jpeg

54371B4C-4362-4015-92DE-0601745BE1D5.jpeg.9443aac01cdab245c0d001e50e816038.jpeg7E01F8ED-77FC-40E2-BE41-669EFA303DCA.jpeg.f503ac492f0fc3747a2e9e1b46c2ad9b.jpeg

Manchester, 1958:

King William

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

When I get home in a week or so I’ll post a proper update from ‘Dordt in Stoom’ but for now I’ll just say it’s amazing! There must be about 20 steam tugs here and more arriving every hour. There’s a steam bucket dredger and what really blew my mind was when a floating steam grain elevator turned up, in steam. 
The weather is dreadful so I’m presently watching from the shelter of a riverside bar. 

70915848-390B-44C6-BDC5-34375FCC7385.jpeg

The tan "tower" on the left, lighthouse, anti-aircraft tower, ??

I would like to se a few closer photos. TIA

EDIT: I just thought of a lookout tower to advise of incoming ships before the advent of radio.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

EDIT: I just thought of a lookout tower to advise of incoming ships before the advent of radio.

Harbourmaster?

This caught my eye.

image.png.66e92d8c4cae1126c24d1a5a6e70e91b.png

Yumm.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I would like to se a few closer photos. TIA

It was built as a water tower I think, but may have also been used for observations.

https://www.beleefzwijndrecht.nl/kunstencultuur/monumenten/2236743.aspx?t=De-watertoren

Dordrecht is at a major junction in the rivers/canals in the region and there is a constant stream of smaller cargo vessels here, many turning across the path of others. 

Edited by Mol_PMB
Link added
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Dordt in Stoom happens every 2 years. If you’re not here already you need to get it in your diary for 2026. There’s so much going on it’s blowing my mind.

I’m into trains and ships and I’ve done plenty of those today, but the highlight of today was the horse-drawn steam fire engine cantering through the cobbled streets with whistle blowing and bell ringing furiously. We’ve all seen a stuffed and mounted steam pump but this was something else!

On ships, the Elbe was very impressive to explore, not steam but a massive 1950s ocean-going tug with an interesting history.

I’ve been on 4 steam tugs and seen countless more - there are about 20 steam vessels puffing around here. And interestingly, some of them are ‘puffers’ with no condenser and using injectors to feed river water into the boilers. 

it’s just really really good. In a lovely town with lots of great bars and beer. 

Mol

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the first time in a few months, I was up early and about with my camera around the Port of Fremantle and its approaches.  I took this from the North Mole just on sunrise...

FremantleApproaches.jpg.abaee982f7b1a0e52a29cf4ad762cec0.jpg

...and then drove around to the south side of the port and watched the comings and goings for the next hour or so. There wasn't a lot happening, a small ship left for Cocos as I arrived, and these two small container ships were loading/unloading.

wa_fremantle_port(K1_1670).jpg.8af9938a94112833a66dcdcf55c0d0c0.jpg

And then the BBC Ruby (a general cargo ship) came in.

wa_fremantle_(DJI_MavicPro3_0313).jpg.78449de8e64220f09a414ee7c336f172.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 8

Colombia begins exploring ‘holy grail of shipwrecks’

The ship, whose ownership remains contested, was carrying one of the largest hauls of valuables ever lost at sea when it was attacked just outside of the Colombian city of Cartagena. It is estimated to be laden with as much as £16bn ($20bn) in treasure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4nn983qmepo

• Informative/Useful 2

After a quiet spell for a few weeks at Teignmouth there has been more activity in May, including some

of the largest vessels that are able to berth,

IMG_7165.JPG.f66ead6ad3180d72b79717ac28995ed2.JPG

The port dredger/tug Teign C is berthed at the New Quay, Royal Escape  and La Vagabond Des Mers are at the Fish Quay, while at the Western Quay are Wilson Hanstholm and Arklow Gem.  25/5/2024.

IMG_7159.JPG.b68f44d174968c7dfff1fb27a84ed173.JPG

Wilson Hanstholm on the Western Quay at Teignmouth 25/5/2024

IMG_7160a.JPG.2fce651754aa0696b5f92bcaa585bf61.JPG

Arklow Gem on the Western Quay at Teignmouth. 25/5/2024

A few days previously another similar Arklow vessel had occupied the same berth on the Western Quay

IMG_7145.JPG.a0f4a665b555a390df687f1c838562e5.JPG

Arklow Clan alongside the Western Quay at Teignmouth 23/5/2024

cheers

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

After a quiet spell for a few weeks at Teignmouth there has been more activity in May, including some

of the largest vessels that are able to berth

Any idea what their cargos are?

• Like 1

One of my highlights today was a trip on ‘Dockyard IX’ a 1940s steam tug with all mod cons. Poppet valve 4-cylinder engine, full control from the bridge, steam rudder engine drives a Kort nozzle. It sounds almost like a diesel with the poppet valves on the main cylinders, and the turbogenny and water pumps whirring away.

I enjoyed a look round the engine room while we were manoeuvring. 

Its twin was also here, ‘Dockyard III’. They have an interesting layout with the boiler forward of the wheelhouse and the funnel up the middle of it. 
B420DDE3-AD83-4033-A02F-78CAC64AAE9D.jpeg.77cc33554c745c0137abf408e48684cb.jpeg

There are plenty of older steam tugs here, but in some ways these transition-era ones were more interesting. 

Another thing I enjoyed today was the working stoombagger (steam bucket dredger’. 

Tomorrow I have an all-day journey to Amsterdam on the tug ‘Noordzee’. 

Better photos to follow next week when I’m home. 

Mol

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Any idea what their cargos are?

The Wilson Hanstholm had arrived in ballast from Avonmouth, loaded ball clay and sailed for Ceuta in Spain.

I think ball clay is the only regular export cargo.

Arklow Gem had arrived from Hull and from comments of the Facebook Group 'Ships in Torbay and Lyme Bay'

it had brought a transhipment cargo from Hull - possibly grain, presumably a part load of something discharged from a larger vessel? 

I now realise that I was standing next to the photographer who took similar photos to mine of the two vessels. 

Comments on Facebook indicate that Arklow Clan had also brought a transhipment cargo from Waterford off a larger shipment from New Orleans. She then sailed in ballast for Lisbon,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 3

@Rivercider

"Wilson Hanstholm had arrived in ballast from Avonmouth"

and

"Arklow Clan ... sailed in ballast for Lisbon"

Did the ballast from Avonmouth get re-used as the ballast for Lisbon? Asking partly out of idle curiosity, but just-in-case I ever finish my dockside layout.

I'm always fascinated by dock operations, Teignmouth especially, because we used to go through the docks to the public slipway to the west, to launch our dinghy. Not helped by FIL being a harbour master.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@Rivercider

"Wilson Hanstholm had arrived in ballast from Avonmouth"

and

"Arklow Clan ... sailed in ballast for Lisbon"

Did the ballast from Avonmouth get re-used as the ballast for Lisbon? Asking partly out of idle curiosity, but just-in-case I ever finish my dockside layout.

I'm always fascinated by dock operations, Teignmouth especially, because we used to go through the docks to the public slipway to the west, to launch our dinghy. Not helped by FIL being a harbour master.

I think modern ships have ballast tanks to take on or pump out water as ballast?

Do you mean the slipway at Polly Steps? There is a public footpath behind the quay and warehouses to a public slipway. I have not walked along there yet since we moved to Teignmouth, but I think at low water it is possible to walk further up to the Shaldon Bridge?

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Do you mean the slipway at Polly Steps? There is a public footpath behind the quay and warehouses to a public slipway. I have not walked along there yet since we moved to Teignmouth, but I think at low water it is possible to walk further up to the Shaldon Bridge?

That's it, Polly Steps, thanks I'd forgotten the name 😀

Current OS maps show the footpath

https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=50.545806~-3.50633&lvl=16.0&style=s

Having to go back to old OS maps that have more detail to show Polly Steps and the slipway.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.7&lat=50.54626&lon=-3.50629&layers=168&b=1&o=100&marker=50.5515,-3.4886

• Like 2