The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

Posted (edited)

Saw this arriving into Marchwood last Friday, New Amsterdam, looks very much like the MoD boats that go into there so is it an old one of ours?

DK0A0823a.JPG

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

Saw this arriving into Marchwood last Friday, New Amsterdam, looks very much like the MoD boats that go into there so is it an old one of ours?

DK0A0823a.JPG

She's the former Longstone. After use by a few commercial operators she's now operates on behalf of the Dutch MOD doing the same job as she once did for us.

Naturally the UK has chartered her back due to a shortage of ships...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, brian daniels said:

The reason I was at Southampton last Friday was to see the departure of Queen Anne on it's maiden voyage from Southampton together with a few fireworks.

DK0A1123aa.jpg

Great image, I watched on Solent Cam live stream, have an affinity for all ships!

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is an unusual one, a US flag general cargo ship, doubly interesting as it has a stern anchor. Both attributes very unusual in this part of the world.

GC58.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some ships around Tanjong Pagas and Marina South Pier, including the mandatory vehicle carriers.

Box333.JPG

Bulk49.jpg

Heavy47.JPG

Heavy48.JPG

AHT38.JPG

Car253.jpg

Car254.jpg

Car255.jpg

Car258.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Some ships around Tanjong Pagas and Marina South Pier, including the mandatory vehicle carriers.

Heavy48.JPG

That is the most unusual ship that I have seen in a long time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A vessel that I've not seen in Silloth port before, moored where the molasses boat generally moors/discharges to the tanks ashore...Kaprifiol is listed as a chemical/oil products tanker on various shipping websites...

BeRTIe

IMG_8463.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 4

Classic Mersey tugs in Canning Dock: 1960s diesel tug 'Brocklebank' and 1903 steam tug/tender 'Daniel Adamson' (originally named 'Ralph Brocklebank'):

A tale of two Brocklebanks

Modern Mersey tugs at work in the channel, with tanker 'Nordic Breeze' inbound for Tranmere.

Nordic Breeze passes New Brighton

'Svitzer Trident' at the bow, 'Svitzer Amazonas' by the bridge, and the newest tug on the Mersey 'Svitzer Elizabeth' out of sight as stern tug.
'Svitzer Trident's regular master was moonlighting as captain of the veteran steam tug 'Daniel Adamson' from which this photo was taken. He took us for a quick detour en route to Manchester to have a nose at what his other tug was up to!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Do mariners the world over leave a memento of their visits on the quayside? It's not something you often get to see as a normal punter.

This is a berth at Eastham on the Manchester Ship Canal - I think the former de-masting berth but I may be wrong.

Ship_names.jpg.3e8f03a0eb69d959be011d8a4a810f10.jpg

I particularly like the message from Tequila!

Tequila Sunset

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Do mariners the world over leave a memento of their visits on the quayside? It's not something you often get to see as a normal punter.

I remember the various cruise ships in Alaska painting quite ornate pictures in one of the ports on a cliff.  The mate and some AB's would troop up the hill with tins of paint and some 4" rollers on arrival!

However looking out my cabin window just now (in a major European port) I cannot see a daubing anywhere - maybe it's forbidden now?

• Like 3

It still seems reasonably common on the Manchester Ship Canal wharves, perhaps because it's an unusual place to visit. The daubings don't seem as arty as those at Horta, but if it is now forbidden then the crew of the Happy Falcon have helpfully provided a full list of suspects to the authorities! This is at Partington:

Partington Falcon

Happy Falcon, CLC Bridge

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Does anyone know what a P&O director does that is worth £500K a year?

The boss of P&O Ferries has admitted that he couldn't live on the £4.87 an hour some of its crew are paid, he told MPs. Peter Hebblethwaite also revealed that he earned more than £500,000 last year, including a bonus. At a hearing over workers' rights and protection, Mr Hebblethwaite faced more questions over P&O's decision to axe hundreds of workers without notice and replace them with agency staff. He said he was deeply sorry for the redundancies and claimed "we would not make that decision again".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/articles/ceq3pw038g8o

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm really not sure what anyone can do that's worth that sort of money! The Prime Minister's salary is about £150,000 so how is  running a moderate-sized ferry company worth 3 times as much as running a country of 67 million people? But perhaps we shouldn't stray into politics...

Mol

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

37 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Does anyone know what a P&O director does that is worth £500K a year?

It's because a worldwide market sets the remuneration of directors of international companies such as P&O for executives rather than a local UK one. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2024 at 23:34, KeithMacdonald said:

I've been on that. Picton to Wellington.

Last time I did that journey, it was on a fast craft.

The really odd bit, is I now often travel from Fraggle Rock (the Isle of Man) to the UK on the self same craft!  The other side of the world, same ship.  At that time we were considering emigration, to NZ or the IoM!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

It's because a worldwide market sets the remuneration of directors of international companies such as P&O for executives rather than a local UK one. 

But only in the UK can a manager get that kind of money for running a company into the ground.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

But only in the UK can a manager get that kind of money for running a company into the ground.

Make me wonder about starting a new website.

useless-management.co.uk

In which we feature case studies of the rich and infamous, and the "Most Muppetry" awards for UK senior management failures.

And the nominations are ... ???

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bon Accord said:

Not so...

• Agree 3