Calne Model Rail Show - 20 & 21 January 2018

Geoff Endacott

The 25th Annual Calne Model Rail Show

The Calne Leisure Centre, White Horse Way, Calne, Wilts., SN11 0SP.

Saturday 21st January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Sunday 22nd January 10.00 am - 4.30 pm

The layouts booked to attend are:

Abingdon Branch (OO): Ivan Cadge

Angst-Lesspork(OO9): Hugh Norwood

Axeford (OO): Ian Powell

Brewhouse Lane (OO): Tom Hussey

Bridgebury Gate (N): Russell Hobbs

Croydon North Street (N): Darren Johnson

Depot des Camions (N): Stuart Conlon

End of the Line (O/O14): Tim Crockford

Franwood TMD (OO): Neil Woodbine

Kannotburn (OO): Bentley MRG

Little Ashton (N): Dave Smith

Lydgate (OO): Dave Spencer

Tipham (OO): Steve Sims

Tormouth Quay (OO): Graham Bean

Trinity Dock Street Bridge (OO): Gavin Rose

Wantage Tramway (OO9): Richard Holder

Trade:

Andy Lynch

Aspire Gifts & Models

Attwood Aggregates

Box Tunnel Railways

Brunel Model Railways

Brunswick Railways

Country Park Models

David Smith Books

Doubleo Scenics
Gas Cupboard

Mainline & Maritime
Modelmania
Platform 3 Models

Squires Model & Craft Tools

The Trainman

Others:

Bentley MRG Help & Advice Stand

Calne Men's Shed

N Gauge Society

Scleroderma & Reynaud's UK Charity

Adult: £5.00, Child: £3.00, Group (2+2): £12.00.

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott

• 3 months later...

Tickets are now available online for those who don't want to pay cash at the door. The fee for booking by card is a very modest 50p.

Saturday tickets: www.wegottickets.com/event/423199 .

Sunday tickets: www.wegottickets.com/event/423202 .

This is very much an experiment to see how the system works. So who is going to be the first person to test it?

Geoff Endacott

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With just two weeks to go advance tickets are selling fast. (Well, four, actually.)

I had wondered whether or not it was worth setting up an online booking facility, but it is the only way we can accept payment by card. In common with most clubs, it's cash only on the door because the technology needed to accept card payments is prohibitively expensive. Since the abolition of cheque guarantee cards we can't take cheques either.

So if you want to pay by card, please book now: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/423199 .

Geoff Endacott

My 4mm scenic layout 'Lydgate' will be making its final appearance under my ownership at Calne. It's based on a drift mine and cable works in the Forest of Dean and is set in the 50s/60s.  It'll have a big FOR SALE sign on it because (sadly) I no longer have space to house it.  It's spent the last 6 months in a self storage unit but that's no good for me!  

This layout was the main feature in Model Rail August 2015 and won 'best in show ' at Andover a year later.  It's only been to 6 exhibitions in total so has loads of life left in it.  It needs an operating  space of 18 x 6 feet.  Come along and see it in action ...... and hopefully offer me a price that does justice to the workmanship!

Dave Spencer

• RMweb Gold

My 4mm scenic layout 'Lydgate' will be making its final appearance under my ownership at Calne. It's based on a drift mine and cable works in the Forest of Dean and is set in the 50s/60s.  It'll have a big FOR SALE sign on it because (sadly) I no longer have space to house it.  It's spent the last 6 months in a self storage unit but that's no good for me!  

This layout was the main feature in Model Rail August 2015 and won 'best in show ' at Andover a year later.  It's only been to 6 exhibitions in total so has loads of life left in it.  It needs an operating  space of 18 x 6 feet.  Come along and see it in action ...... and hopefully offer me a price that does justice to the workmanship!

Dave Spencer

Dave, I'm really sorry to hear that you've finally decided that you have to part with Lydgate, it must be heartbreaking. I thoroughly enjoyed my two outings with you helping to operate it at Newbury and Andover.

Lydgate and your handiwork deserve to be seen more and would heartily recommend anyone who has a desire to own an exceptional exhibition layout to get in touch. It is a joy to operate and you actually get two independant layouts in one. If I didn't have Much Murkle I would jump at the chance.

Unfortunately I can't make the Calne Show as a visitor this year. Good luck with the sale.

Dave Spencer

Hi Dave,

Nice to see you have registered on here now, looking forward to operating Lydgate at Calne for potentially the last time...

Thanks Nick for those positive sentiments posted a few days ago and all your invaluable help with my layout.  And thanks to you too, Rob.  Yes, it will be a big wrench to part with Lydgate but for me there's no point in keeping a layout if you can't put it up to operate at your leisure from time to time.  And as you say it does run well so I've set myself a high standard for anything else I construct! 

All crated up now and ready for the Calne show.  Should be a short piece about it being for sale in the new MR (out today) so hopefully I'll see the ad later.......  

• Like 2

The legs were being fitted to the club layout this evening.

Given that we will not be setting it up at the show until tomorrow, I think that counts as being ready in plenty of time.

Geoff Endacott

Will be interested to see how Kannotburn has turned out in the end, will be nice to see it finished,

20th - 21st January 2018, saw the Bentley Model Railway (Railroad) Group host their annual Model Railway Exhibition. This years line-up featured no less than 16 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as a good selection of Trade Stands.

Layout featured (in order as seen);

Lydgate - 00 Gauge

The Abingdon Branch - 00 Gauge

Axeford - 00 Gauge

Brewhouse Lane - 00 Gauge

Croydon North Street - 00 Gauge

Franwood T.M.D. - 00 Gauge

Trinity Dock Street Bridge - 00 Gauge

Wantage Tramway - 009 Scale

Angst-Lesspork - 009 Scale

End of the Line - 0 Gauge / 0-14 Gauge

Bridgebury Gate - N Gauge

Depot Des Camions - N Gauge

Little Ashton - N Gauge

Tipham - 00 Gauge

Tormouth Quay - 00 Gauge

Kannotburn - 00 Gauge

Plus more!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjT_AkUj2Is

• Like 2

Phil and I had a good show with Tipham and got a few more invites, thanks. We had on or two minor problem, which manifested themselves on Sunday, it must have been all that rain!

I hope that the show was a success, there were certainly plenty of visitors, despite the weather.

The only downside to the weekend was the location of the guest house as this was situated just out of town and required a short drive to find food and drink and it certainly cut down on the Drink!! there being no footpath or lighting to be able to walk. The Guest House itself was great and the food excellent!

Steve.

Well we have had the Snowiest the Hottest and this year the Wettest weekend of the year so not bad. All in all a good show with good layouts and a good trade balance

I agree with you about the good show and good layouts, really enjoyed the day on Lydgate and The end of the line is a firm favourite.

I do disagree slightly on the trade which I thought was a bit mixed to be honest. Usual good ones like Model mania and squires, but there was a heck of a lot of second hand stuff and much of it very similar second hand (Lima/ Old Hornby etc), and a fair smattering of older still. I know both the Gas Cupboard and Brunel railways have stopped doing new items so maybe that tipped the balance but replacing one or more of the second hand stalls with a new stock trader would be well received, I went on the look out for some new peco bullhead points and drew a blank for example so maybe something to consider for next show.

Edited by 37114

Was helping out on Abingdon for the weekend - very nice show. Full marks for feeding us on Friday evening as well - much appreciated :)

Agree with some of the 2nd hand stock on sale. While I spent my money stocking up on a few bits and pieces that can't be had easily through the post these days, some of the stuff that was being flogged (or attempted anyway) defied belief

Some of the stuff people bought from the club sales stand also defied belief. As for the issue of trade, here is my introduction to the show guide:

As the Nobel laureate Robert Zimmerman once wrote, “The times they are a-changin'.” Bob Dylan, as Mr Zimmerman is better known, may not have had model railway exhibitions in mind when he wrote that lyric, but the sentiment certainly applies to this year's show.

Exhibitions used to be an important sales opportunity for model railway businesses, then along came the internet. Businesses which used to rely on meeting their customers in person can now trade online. That is fine for the larger enterprises which have huge warehouses full of stock and dedicated internet staff, but the smaller local shops, with ever increasing overheads, can find it very difficult.

This year, of the traders represented here this weekend, just five have their own retail premises with none based in Wiltshire. Last year the respective figures were eight and two. Support your local model shop is a mantra which is becoming increasingly difficult to follow.

A show such as this also relies on local layouts. The further the owners have to travel, the greater the cost, both in terms of travelling and accommodation. Last year seven people came from so far afield that they needed to stay overnight. This year the number is 19.

The exhibition also needs people to help with its organisation so why not join us? We meet on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at our extensive premises in Harris Road, Calne. If you would like to join us, or if you would just like to pay us a visit, contact the Chairman, Chris Young, on 01249-659270, or the Secretary, Martin Harris, on 01249-655590. For further information about the Group, our layouts and our activities, visit the website at www.bmrg.org.uk. And do come to our 25th anniversary show on 19th & 20th January 2019.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibitions used to be an important sales opportunity for model railway businesses, then along came the internet. Businesses which used to rely on meeting their customers in person can now trade online. That is fine for the larger enterprises which have huge warehouses full of stock and dedicated internet staff, but the smaller local shops, with ever increasing overheads, can find it very difficult.

This year, of the traders represented here this weekend, just five have their own retail premises with none based in Wiltshire. Last year the respective figures were eight and two. Support your local model shop is a mantra which is becoming increasingly difficult to follow.

A show such as this also relies on local layouts. The further the owners have to travel, the greater the cost, both in terms of travelling and accommodation. Last year seven people came from so far afield that they needed to stay overnight. This year the number is 19.

Interesting context, thanks for sharing Geoff. I best get on with Parsons Vale to give you another local layout..

Had a great weekend with Lydgate at the show.  It ran extremely well and got a lot of positive feedback;.   Interestingly, female observers seemed more likely to appreciate the colours, textures, and cameos that I'd painstakingly put together,

I'm pleased to say that I have a buyer - my good friend Ian who helped operate on Sunday has agreed to take it, so it's the end of an era now.  He already has my previous layout - Penrhos -  bought a few years ago.

Thanks to all who showed an interest in Lydgate ...... next on display in the Welsh borders area, I think.

Now time to get cracking on a new project ....... another Forest of Dean-based layout but much smaller than Lydgate!

• Like 4