Southwold Exhibition 2017

Ravenser

For reasons which escape me , there doesn't seem to be a thread for this show, even though it's one of the largest in Eastern England

I went yesterday (and made a day of it by visiting Framlingham Castle). 

The standard of the layouts was very high overall. Possibly the star was Peter Goss's Worlds End, which has the finest structure work I've ever seen on a modern image layout. The ruined castle is something you don't often see modelled, and it was done superlatively

post-80-0-53848900-1502041645_thumb.jpg

A very creditable second was Brighton East - a thoroughly credible version of what the Kemp Town branch might have looked like if it had survived into the modern era

post-80-0-21534900-1502042902.jpg

I also liked Caradon - a compact modern image layout that looked entirely credible - because it is based pretty closely on a prototype

(And the Gauge 1 steam marquee was as impressive as usual)

Edited by Ravenser

For reasons which escape me , there doesn't seem to be a thread for this show, even though it's one of the largest in Eastern England

The standard of the layouts was very high overall. Possibly the star was Peter Goss's Worlds End, which has the finest structure work I've ever seen on a modern image layout. The ruined castle is something you don't often see modelled, and it was done superlatively

attachicon.gifSouthwold17 -Worlds End.JPG

A very creditable second was Brighton East - a thoroughly credible version of what the Kemp Town branch might have looked like if it had survived into the modern era

attachicon.gifSouthwold17 -Brighton East-web.jpg

I also liked Caradon - a compact modern image layout that looked entirely credible - because it is based pretty closely on a prototype

(And the Gauge 1 steam marquee was as impressive as usual)

Yes I was  too... I was exhibiting my OBB layout Klapping - I was not due to attend this year but Rob Bishop the Exhibition Manager lost a Swiss  layout at the last minute and asked me to step in at short notice- which meant I had to run with a scratch crew of operators.  We were told to  not turn up on the Friday till 14.00- when we turned up we were really amazed almost everyone had gone home having set up already .. That being said we were set up in around an hour- the Catenary takes me a while to knit together over the board joints.. If you get the opportunity to show a layout here, I would strongly recommend it the organisation in general is second to none - they provide a Full English breakfast in the morning , they provide a choice of 2/3 cooked meals including a pudding for lunch and there is a never ending supply of tea/coffee available too, The only fly in the ointment is that we were in  the Travelodge in Lowestoft which is around 35/40 minutes away.. So it means doing this commute Friday/Sat/Sun - bear that in mind when you are doing your expenses claim.. There were some stand out layouts for me - I  have seen Worlds End before , but felt they had run better previously they were  having a few issues at one stage. San ford and Barnwell has some fabulous track-work , but I felt the scenery was just too clean. I like Luton's "Central Works" and "Lambourn" is a great representative of the 2mm Finescale. Chelmsford clubs "That Dam Railway" was there too. I was surprised  that the 009 layout Avyn-a-Llyin was voted as best in show as I felt that Brighton East and Caradon might have been in the running ..I liked the concept of Hall Quay with the dockside Tramway using 0.01" phosphor bronze wire for  the tram's overhead pick up...

This is a really good event , a lot of my friends make a weekend of coming up to visit this event. Next year it looks like I have been  roped into operating an OBB steam layout " Klaus"belonging to an ARG ( Austrian Railway Group) member who is moving from Billericay up to Saxmunden ... I can't wait to return !

The standard of the layouts was very high overall. 

I concur. I looked in vain for a thread leading up to the event although the details were on UKModelShops. I did note that the WVMRC's own website was not updated about the event after April.(Unless I had an old link in cache)

Nevermind

It was a good show this year. I rather liked 'That Dam Railway.'  But there was nothing that should have been left at home. There were some rtr bargains to be had and I noted the 'Ex Kirk 4mm Southern Kits' on the Phoenix Paints stand. These looked quite tidy.  

Southwold for the North and South folk is really a must visit show.

Great show, top quality layouts throughout. My only slight disappointment was that there wasn't a single N Gauge layout. Yes, Lambourn in 2mil finescale was there and it is a layout of the utmost quality but I just felt the lack of anything in N upset the balance slightly for me.

Good to catch up with Miker and his crew, Klapping was performing well as always.

Plenty of traders I managed to pick up 3 Farish weathered 16 tonners at £7.95 each - pretty much half price!

Naturally I plan to return next year.

Roy

I was there on the Saturday and had a lovely day, Worlds end is always a pleasure and even though I'd seen it before at Norwich and Eye I was still noticing things I had not seen before, Avyn-A-Llin was another one that appealed to me with its wonderful beach and jetty scenes. 

Wizard was there so managed to stock up from him and a few other traders.

Great show and so different from last year with a whole different range of layouts which kept it feeling fresh.

Edited by Londontram

While this local show is an annual 'must see' I had only just returned from a week in Lithuania so was shattered and didn't get there. Lovely location, easy and plentiful parking, Southwold to visit for non-railway family members, and always a different selection of layouts. I always let MrsJ choose the 'best in show' as I can be biased and she has an unjaundiced eye. Next years date already noted.

• RMweb Gold

This was our clubs 17th year at Southwold, we bring a layout every year as one of our members has a house in Reydon, so Rob only has to pay our transport costs from Portsmouth. As usual we had a great time and thanks to Rob and the team for a really relaxed and informal show. We are just deciding which layout bring next year.

• Like 1

Still only 4 replies to Ravenser's original post. Yet more than for some other exhibition thread although others have many replies. Odd.

Perhaps the usual RMweb clique of commentators don't venture into the wilderness.........

Really? I've done this show twice with two different layouts. It's not the easiest place to get to from the Republic of East Yorkshire but I went back again. Had a great time on both occasions.  

Really? I've done this show twice with two different layouts. It's not the easiest place to get to from the Republic of East Yorkshire but I went back again. Had a great time on both occasions.  

And very welcome here you are too your honour! :-) 

You want to try living in Norwich - it's 100 miles before you get anywhere before you really start getting anywhere.

We are fortunate that so many quality layout exhibitors and traders do make the journey here and are of course very grateful for those that do.  

I suspect the wider 'commentating clique' (you know what I mean) are unlikely to make the trip. 

• RMweb Premium

As has been said a really good show this year, most enjoyable with a good range of layouts and traders and a good balance between them as usual. Probably one of the more understated exhibitions around, perhaps as a result of being in August and about as far east as you can get.

Could I put in a word for Trowland, Trevor Nunn's new small/portable S gauge layout built to take to exhibitions. Purely M&GN it's a nice size suitable for many such as myself with limited amounts of space and the quayside buildings of flint/stone with their pantile roofs are first rate. I also had the pleasure of meeting Phil Coplestone who was running it at the time.

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery27.htm

The only downside was Webbs Wharf, the O gauge layout which has featured recently in the RM and set at a height that was too tall for myself or my wife to see it at all. Such a pity.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy