Using Autodesk Fusion 360

It is my guess that more and more railway modellers will look into Autodesk Fusion 360 as this is very likely the most advanced 3D modelling software available for free.

I have just started to look into the program, but only after a couple of evenings I have reached the point were I am able to model a quite complex driver for a engine project:

skjermdump_mesh_ASEA_hjul_w.jpg

The mesh shows the stl version. One of the great things with F360 is that it outputs clean stl files that at least Shapeways accepts without any postprocessing.

F360 also have CAM features for preparing models for CNC machining

A recent feature added to F360 is sheet metal. I have just made a very brief test, but I think this can be a very efficient tool for designing complex etched models.

So I have startet this thread in the hope that It can be a place to ask questions and share experinces with this software.

Feel free to join the fun!

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 3

This sounds like good news

I used to teach Autocad to Univ students until retirement a decade or so ago, since when could not afford the Acad prices.

Does this free program use the (still) familar Acad commands?

dh

I have never been an active Autocad user, so I am not the right man to answer your question in detail. But Autocad and Fusion360 are VERY different animals, so my half-educated guess is that FS360 uses few of the SC commands. 

But I urge you to take Fusion for a test run, and please share your experiences !

This sounds like good news

I used to teach Autocad to Univ students until retirement a decade or so ago, since when could not afford the Acad prices.

Does this free program use the (still) familar Acad commands?

I'm afraid not. :-(    Like yourself I have been using AutoCAD LT for many years and transitioning to a program like Fusion 360 has been very difficult for me with so many years of ingrained AutoCAD LT experience.   I've had one or two goes to get under the skin of it with not much success so far but I'm going to have to get with it some time. :-)   I did learn to use an old version of Rhino to do 3D drawings and that worked quite well since it worked with a similar command structure to AutoCAD but it stopped working when I upgraded to Win10 and I'm afraid I can't afford to purchase a current copy of the software.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

If you want a free and good replacement for Autocad light, then get Draftsight, which is virtually identical in every way, and fully functional!

I tried to download and play with it yesterday, having seen reference to it on a thread about Missenden Abbey, but even downloading the patch did not improve things, this lead to a vitriolic out burst about inhabitants from across the moat, which if repeated on here would get me banned.