ZTC or NCE DCC system?

swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

I have to say once you get used to handing loco control to the driver(handset) its a really nice controller.

It doesn't actually do routes at the minute, but I believe Fraser is working on it!

Its not too much of an issue as the Team Digital SMD82 accessory decoder (now replaced with the SMD84) can be programed to operate routes!

The best thing is the function control, it really is good to have all functions on the one screen.

I've only played about with one at Digitrains but was very impressed with it.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

I looked at a number of DCC Controllers over 10 years ago and settled for  511. Since then I have a 611.

Both are linked. The 511 being a slave.

This is a great improvement on the old 511.

Yes ZTC did go through a period of disruption but is more stable now that the new owner is committed to its development. Plus you have dedicated phone support.

Why does it suit me. I have a problem with grip, so an hand held was out for a start.

I like its design, not to many button presses to operate. It reads and writes.

A new larger screen is on its way, you will be able to link it to a monitor on the wall if you wish.

I know its costly, but then if you can afford it why not.

Why buy a mini when you can afford a Jag.

By the way, its BRITISH.

• Like 1

I looked at a number of DCC Controllers over 10 years ago and settled for  511. Since then I have a 611.

Both are linked. The 511 being a slave.

This is a great improvement on the old 511.

Yes ZTC did go through a period of disruption but is more stable now that the new owner is committed to its development. Plus you have dedicated phone support.

Why does it suit me. I have a problem with grip, so an hand held was out for a start.

I like its design, not to many button presses to operate. It reads and writes.

A new larger screen is on its way, you will be able to link it to a monitor on the wall if you wish.

I know its costly, but then if you can afford it why not.

Why buy a mini when you can afford a Jag.

By the way, its BRITISH.

I don't want to pay £650.

I don't want a huge screen.

I can't buy the 611, it's sold out and will not ever be back in stock.

The 612 does not have a fixed price or delivery date.

The ZTC is dead in the water for me personally.

Sorry.

I have to say once you get used to handing loco control to the driver(handset) its a really nice controller.

It doesn't actually do routes at the minute, but I believe Fraser is working on it!

Its not too much of an issue as the Team Digital SMD82 accessory decoder (now replaced with the SMD84) can be programed to operate routes!

The best thing is the function control, it really is good to have all functions on the one screen.

I've only played about with one at Digitrains but was very impressed with it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi, Are you talking about the Sig-Na-Track?

The Sig-Na-Track has a control knob as well, see the link.

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/bhs1204-driver

I already owned an NCE and liked it, the Sig-Na-Track seems more of the same, only more:-)

or less. The other thing that put me off was the lack of 'macros' as with the NCE system, allowing complete routes to be set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess for those with a small layout and do not want to follow the train  around the various stations, then a panel controller like ZTC, etc is probably the way to go BUT if your liking is to follow  the train, then NCE/ Lenz is the way.

One fixed panel controller would not be ideal for a layout like this http://www.newcastle-modelrail.com/page40.html

• 3 years later...

With a ZTC system you'r not just stuck with a panel controller, you can have any number (not sure how many)  of 622 handheld controllers too.  These can be plugged in wherever youv'e mounted a plug in panel around the layout. Ok its not wireless, but still flexible enough. 

However, what hasn't been mentioned is that the 622 handheld also is a lever throttle and a very smooth one too. I have arthritis in the thumb joints of my right hand, and whilst this isn't a problem with the ZTC base station as it's fixed down, it is a problem with a handheld, having to hold the unit in one hand and operate controls with the other.  

However, with the ZTC 622 handheld, I can hold it in the palm of my left hand (I am right handed) and operate the throttle lever with my left hand thumb, so single hand operation.  

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1