RMweb

4Z33 in trouble?

• RMweb Premium

BBC Radio said this morning that the line is closed until the weekend. 11 wagons need to be lifted off the track by crane according to them. There is damaged track to be replaced. The incident is near Manea according to them.

Well, why am I, for one, not surprised at track being damaged. I guess the location is a little tricky to access hence the time to recover the derailed stock. I think the BBC report isn't terribly well phrased.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the West Junction will get plain lined initially. The Lynn sand and others will have to come into Ely to run round.

West Jct points smashed according to a guy in the know on the local Facebook group.

• RMweb Premium

Ummm - that's a bit more radical than the BBC images suggest. No wonder it is going to take a little while to sort out. As they say in the West Country - Proper Job!

As for the BBC location I did post that rather tongue in cheek ...

DHNF18VXoAA8q3w.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Despite up line intact talk of bringing in road cranes - access 2/3 mile away so temp road required to site before site available for rebuilding.  Sadly I expect all big rail cranes in engineering use and rail recovery cranes do not have staff to see job through so road wins again but hopefully a better ride on rebuilt line. Line does have a number of TSRs  sugesting it was getting life expired - no pain without gain.  

Control busy today putting together train plans  and road section resourcing coaches - 23 booked last count  to run PBO- ELY with full and some extra services to make use of stock. Exams being done Cambridge as threes 170 trapped Ely side. Folk advised via London while this debacle sorted and track righted!

looks like a few 12 hour shifts!! ( every cloud a silver lining! )

robert  

I had some fun at this spot many years back when a Sprinter went through the West Junction switch diamond when it was set wrong for the move. I asked the local landowner if i could walk down the side of his field to take photo's, BTP rocks up after me in a 4x4 right across the field followed hotly by a very irate farmer, A fairly heated exchange took place between the two parties. Basically the poor chap had people all over his land and i had been the only one to actually ask, BTP, Railtrack/BR hadn't bothered. I got my photo's and a bit of video and a ride back in the farmers landrover too.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

According to Anglia News 11 " carriages " have come off the track.

Never realised containers carried passengers..........

some years back at Wembley a through tunnel container train arrived and singing could be heard from a curtain sided container , It had contained a full load of booze but picked passengers at Calais and party ensued - Bulgarians rolled off the train into offices but made good escape before BTP rolled up so the story has it..