Odd behaviour of a Dukedog

eastglosmog

I was running my Bachmann Dukedog very slowly to position a coupling in the train accurately over my electro-magnetic uncoupler, when to my surprise it reversed of its own volition and carried on in reverse until I turned the controller knob to off.  Turning the knob back up, the loco went off in the right direction again.  The loco was well away from the uncoupling magnet.  I am using an old ECM Compspeed with a center off reversing switch, so there is no way I could have accidentally changed the polarity. I tried it several times after the first occurrence and it has done it a few other times, though not reliably repeatable  Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the wiring, and no other locos behave this way.  Has this happened to anybody else and anybody any ideas as to what is happening?

Some kind of interaction between loco and controller then. Bach have been putting100 microfarad capacitors in the tenders of the 21 pin equipped models. I'd disconnect that.

Thanks, I'll try that.

The question had to be asked. It's surprising how often a dc loco is eventually found to have a chip fitted.

Indeed it did!  I'm quite capable of wondering why nothing works only to find I haven't switched it on at the wall!

• Like 1

The question had to be asked. It's surprising how often a dc loco is eventually found to have a chip fitted.

Side note. Nobody tell the manufacturers, but their production units do occasionally slip up. I have seen three now, all sold new at retail as 'DCC ready', and nothing to indicate they are not exactly as they left the factory. Also one purchase as 'DCC ready' found to have a 'DCC fitted' stamp on the keeper plate, the model otherwise exactly as catalogue description with no decoder. (Having done time in light assembly operations, it is not a huge surprise that this occurs.)