Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Slater's BR Meat Van

Good Evening,

This is my very first post and I hope it's in the right place.

I'm making a start in O gauge, since I now own two locos, rather unexpectedly. (Offered a discount on one, won the other in a raffle).

I've ordered some Parkside kits and have this Slater's BR van to make. 

I'm a bit confused about the under frame. The instructions tell me to form a 'U' channel, using the included microstrip that they've provided.

Has anyone done this or even understand what I'm getting at without me posting a picture of the instructions? I'm guessing that all the BR 12 ton vans will

be similar?

I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone could give.

Thanks and please forgive my cluelessness.

It's been some time since I built a Slater's wagon but I think the chassis framing on the real thing is fabricated from some form of shaped beam which would be awkward to replicate in a one piece moulding. It is quite invisible unless you invert the model and I never bothered with it.

Kubes

Steel framed wagons have a U channel framing - just like the outer solebar. It is easy to add the microstrip that Slaters provide to each of the girders, as indicated on the instructions. Remember you are working upside down. This gives some idea http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/wagondetailspoetc/e16e09ede There are a lot of photos of wagon frames in the same collection.

Paul

snap. (About being new here, just starting O gauge because you suddenly acquired a loco)

I built a slaters van and spend ages cutting the strip, filling gaps, making it look like a u shaped beam

Then noticing you could see it.

And then having to cut bits away to add the brake bits.

I laugh about it now.

The next one I just did the left and right hand edges of the under frame.

Sorry no photos as nearly everything is in storage at the moment

The application of the strip is something I find not too difficult.  As Paul says, the real thing had the subframe made from steel U channel.  I happen to like putting as much detail as I reasonably can (and sometimes unreasonably) in the underframe.  Slaters kits are really quite good I would say.  I haven't done the meat van since Dapol have released the RTR version.

It should look something like this:

36718111656_a29c24a359_z.jpgP1010008-002 by John Kendall, on Flickr

This is the BR standard van.

John

Edited by brossard

As already stated it can't be seen, but will serve the same purpose as on the prototype to strength the underframe. It should be flush with the solebars/headstocks of course.

My own (4mm) wagons have large gaps in the underframe bracing (where it exists at all) to accommodate weight, couplings etc.