Absolute Aspects Shunt Signal Wiring

Despatcher

If only I understood!

I want to install an Absolute Aspects Ground Position Signal on my new O gauge layout. I am looking at using a Signalist SC1 accessory decoder. I have a Roco Z21 controller. According to Absolute Aspects on-line installation guide, the signal has a black wire which is attached to the negative DC supply. It then has a red wire which is attached to an on-on switch. Finally it has a yellow wire which is attached to the opposite side of the switch. The switch also is connected to the positive DC supply. As I will be using DCC that is not much use to me but does identify the three wires I need to connect.

For DCC connection, the installation guide says that all signals come with a fitted resistor and can be fitted to a compatible DCC Signal Decoder. 

OK, so far I am more than a bit lost but Signalist SC1 accessory decoders I have been told are the greatest things since sliced bread for DCC signals. No idea if they are compatible with my Z21 though?

The Signalist Manual claims "the diagrams all show common cathode wiring but if common anode signals are used the common wire should be connected to terminal ‘a’ instead of terminal ‘k’" As I have no idea what common anode and common cathode are (I am assuming positive and negative? But as to which might be which I am none the wiser). The Absolute Aspects Installation Guide does not mention anode or cathode but only connecting the black wire to the negative DC supply! I am more confused now.

The diagram in the Signalist Guide for a  Ground Position Signal like mine has four wires from the signal. According to the Absolute Aspects on-line guide my signal has a three (Red, black and yellow)! I am now totally confused and before I spend £50+ on one signal, it would be good if I knew what I was doing!

Perhaps the Signalist decoder is not the answer. If anyone out there can explain this in VERY simple language that I might understand I would be very pleased indeed. Many thanks in anticipation.

No experience of either of the two products you are using but from the information you give and looking at the sc1 online instructions (pdf) I would expect you would need to wire the signal as per figure 7 of the sc1 instructions. IE black to K, red to A and green to B.

PS The cathode is basically negative, sometimes represented by a capital letter "K" and the anode is the positive connection, sometimes represented by the capital letter "A". Signalist appear to be using lower case letters for the anode and cathode connections.

Edited by smokebox