Piko track conversion to TT any ideas?

The Tri-ang scale modeler

Hello, I have a project idea in mind that I am pretty sure will work, however I am going to need some pretty good idea's here! I needed some track for a TT gauge.layout, built in my garage with the railway located in Britain that'll fit onto a 4x8, I have seen a chap named Gary Hall who on YouTube converted a piece of what looks like HO scale piece of Piko track to HOmTT. But how he did it really provides the curiosity! plus it is super hard for my to acquire Tri-ang series one track here in America, let alone series two.. 

Actually what Garry has done is convert Peco HOm (12mm gauge) track to accept Triang standards.

The Peco track is (as usual) excellent but is designed for finer standards than Triang.

You'll see his amazing work on the thread 'Triang TT technical advice'.

Assuming you need the track to run the old TT wheel profiles on, have you seen the 3mm scale railways track? It doesn't help with the point problem, but the plain track might be of interest, and I'm pretty sure they will ship to the USA.

http://ttmodels.co.uk/track.html

It might be easier than converting anything else, as the sleeper spacing and rail are already sorted. They will custom make pointwork to match, but that might prove too costly.

Peter

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite a few people use the Peco HOm track successfully. The only problem which may occur is when using Triang stock with the original wheels,  rather than the finer stuff with the 3mm Society's intermediate standard wheels. Can usually be cured by shaving a small amount off the check rails.

Cheers

Nigel

I have just bought an un-built K's GWR 97xx kit, I have a couple of other whitemetal kits on Triang chassis but the wheels look awful. My initial thoughts were to try and get a 3mm Society etched chassis, get some Romford/Markits TT axles and use some old Romford wheels I have

Looking at track what code of rail does TT scale use please

• RMweb Premium

I have just bought an un-built K's GWR 97xx kit, I have a couple of other whitemetal kits on Triang chassis but the wheels look awful. My initial thoughts were to try and get a 3mm Society etched chassis, get some Romford/Markits TT axles and use some old Romford wheels I have

Looking at track what code of rail does TT scale use please

Rail: the Society supplies code 80 flat bottom and, mainly for fine scale use, code 60 bullhead. However, Peco HOm track may be OK for old Romfords; Gary Hall would know better than myself.

Chassis: Brynkits provide a neat fold-up etched chassis for the 57XX pannier tanks, which ought to do for a 97XX. You might have to make the odd alteration to use it with the K's kit, like adjust the length, but it shouldn't be too difficult. 3SMR usually have stocks of the Brynkits chasses; see:

http://www.3smr.co.uk/locoscomponents.html

bottom of the page. LC1203 or LC1205 are the sort of thing.

Rail: the Society supplies code 80 flat bottom and, mainly for fine scale use, code 60 bullhead. However, Peco HOm track may be OK for old Romfords; Gary Hall would know better than myself.

At the moment the only Romford fitted loco I have tried is the 14xx which may have TT Romfords fitted but I cannot be 100% certain.  I would have thought that the 00 Romfords were similar or better flange wise than Tri-ang's own so should not be a problem.  Until I get the layout started I have to say I have not tried every loco through the pointwork.  I know some people have mentioned that some Tri-ang wheels have hit the chairs but I have so far not experienced this.  I have tried all loco variations including Brits and Castles with both open and closed spoked wheels without issue so far.

If you look closely at the video with various locos running through the double slip you will see the straight sections I made up from C and L code 83 is slightly higher than the Peco rail so I guess that maybe code 80 or even 75?

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30